Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Looking for a bee jacket  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
Looking for a bee jacket
« on: June 21, 2004, 09:27:17 am »
Ok folks I need some opinions. I am looking for a good bee jacket w/veil. I have seen them for as little as $30 and as high as $120. I want a good one that will last and it would be nice if it was one with ventilation or lightweight so it is cool in the summer. What are your preferences and thoughts?

Thanks

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Looking for a bee jacket
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 09:47:37 am »
Quote from: Lechwe
Ok folks I need some opinions. I am looking for a good bee jacket w/veil. I have seen them for as little as $30 and as high as $120. I want a good one that will last and it would be nice if it was one with ventilation or lightweight so it is cool in the summer. What are your preferences and thoughts?

Thanks

I buy extra large white shirts. They cost about  7 $ per piece in clearance sale. Shirt is cool and I change it when it is dirty or perspired.

Also if it very hot day, I pour water on me and work with wet shirt.

I use old trousers. In hot wether I use thin cotton trousers and I may pour water also on throusers.  I work with bare hands.

I do not understand how beekeepers survive alive in they fine costumes.
I am like scarecrow when I work with bees.

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Looking for a bee jacket
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 02:04:17 pm »
I did a small search and didn't find any good ones. Whatever you get though, stay away from the poly blend. They are just too hot. You can survive in it, but you'll be happier I'm sure in a cotton outfit. From what I understand, they cost more, so this all depends on your budget. I have a cotton/poly full suit, and I don't dare go out in the middle of the day. I'd melt away!

This is the suit advertised from Mann Lake for $87.95. But it's probably more clothing than you're looking for.

click for larger image

You said you saw some for as low as $30. Where? I would personally like to have a more lightweight jacket too. One that has the veil attached.

Beth

Offline mattoleriver

• New Bee
Looking for a bee jacket
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 04:24:48 pm »
I bought one of these jackets and I'm very happy with it.  The materials and workmanship seem to be first rate.  The seller was very good to work with and has received a lot of good feedback on Beesource from other customers.  The only thing that I do not like is that it is a pullover, I would prefer to have one with a full-length front zipper.  That is a personal preference based on being too old, too stiff and too fat to easily slip into a pullover. :D
George

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Looking for a bee jacket
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 07:20:42 pm »
I like that design. One thing is that the veil doesn't fold up under the chin. With mine, the veil folds up some, and bees sometimes get in there trying to find a way into my hood. They end up getting very tangled and aggrivated. Not only is this disturbing to me - to hear this very aggrivated bee right under my chin - but surely the sound and scent the bee puts off gets more bees upset. I'm gonna save this site and get me one!!

Beth

anything