Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cheap kids suit  (Read 2818 times)

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Cheap kids suit
« on: March 28, 2006, 11:30:10 am »
Anyone know where I can buy a cheap bee suit for a child. I found one at MannLake I think, but they want $100. My boy grows like a weed and I don't want to spend that much every year for a new suit for him.
thanks.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Summerbee

• House Bee
    • http://imabkpr.blogspot.com
bsuit
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 01:27:27 pm »
Couldn't you get him an adult one and loosely hem it up, then you could let out the stitching as needed?  It really wouldn't matter if it was baggy, that actually makes it very comfy.  As long as the leg openings, wrists, etc are secure it would be fine.  Like a mens' size XS or something.  A women's one would be smaller too.
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first.
- David H. Comins

http://imabkpr.blogspot.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Cheap kids suit
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 02:35:16 pm »
Don't know if there is such a thing.  At least I never found one.  

I found that a light color pair of sweats worked fine.  Not sure how old your son is, or how hands on he'll be,  but I started my son out by just standing off to the side and I would call him over to see things.  If the hive was not in a good mood I didn't call him over.   He is 6 now and wears only a veil and normal work cloths, like Dad.

Starting them young is good,  just don't scare them to death with all the protective gear as if you where working AHB (unless you are, and then I wouldn't recommend starting them young :wink: ).  It is inevitable that they will eventually get stung.  Yes the first time can be tramatic,  but if it becomes something they are use to verse something they are scared of,  the  better the chances are they will enjoy beekeeping.

You can also get a white (plastic?) suit in the paint section at Lowe's for like $10,  just cut the legs and arms to fit.  Just get him a veil (and gloves if needed) and your set.

Here is my son at 5 getting his picture to impress his friends.  This was his first hive (a rather small and calm split).  I wouldn't recommend the no veil too often though,  stinging in and around the face can be painful and dangerous.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Cheap kids suit
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 02:47:44 pm »
Very good recs guys. My boy is 5 years old. He is pretty brave in talking, but when it comes down to it I don't know how he'll act, so I thought a suit would be good.

I may do the painting suit and get him a veil to begin with and wean him from them.

thanks again.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Cheap kids suit
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 03:28:47 pm »
Start him out slow and at a distance and let his curiosity lure him in. Walk a frame of brood with the queen over to him and show him.  He will fell much less threatened at first by a frame full of bees verse a whole hive. Show him the stages of brood,  stored honey, pollen, etc.  There is a lot that can be seen by just one frame.  The only thing I kept on him about was to move slowly and not make sudden movements.  Letting him use the smoker seemed to be a big thing :lol:

Most importantly,  show him by example.  Remain calm, especially when you get stung.  Show him the stinger and how to scrape it off etc.  Keep it calm and educational.  Once you get him hooked, then you can take the fun out of it by delegating the manual labor :wink:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Cheap kids suit
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 04:50:16 pm »
The white tyvek suit is a great idea, as is getting started off to the side slowly. These are all things I did with my son (smoker included, I don't know what it is about that smoker Robo, that makes it so attractive  :lol: ) My son went through a thing where he wanted to wear gloves, but when he saw dad not wearing any, he wanted to try that. So whatever makes him feel comfortable works. As far as a full suit, I just got my son (9 in this photo) the same veil/jacket that I wear from Dadant figuring he would grow into it. His is adult medium just like mine and here he is using it:

By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Cheap kids suit
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 04:58:47 pm »
Quote from: Jay
(smoker included, I don't know what it is about that smoker Robo, that makes it so attractive  :lol: )

The plus side is you never have to worry about the smoker going out :wink:

anything