Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Installing my first package tomorrow!  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Nonprophet

• House Bee
Installing my first package tomorrow!
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:46:52 am »
Hive is all built and situated in a good spot. Picking up my bees in the morning. I've watched several vids on Youtube showing installations, and then I came across: "The Best Way To Set Up A Bee Hive" (I tried to provide the link, but I'm new and I guess I'm not allowed to...)

I really like how he's not spraying the heck out of the bees with sugar water, placing the queen box with the rubberband seems brilliant, and not having to "knock the bees down" several times from the carrier and get them all agitated--instead letting them go into the new hive on their own, just seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Any reason NOT to install my package like this?

Thanks!

NP
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little."
—Franklin D. Roosevelt

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: Installing my first package tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 03:06:03 am »
bees can...and will build comb in the package instead of the frames...which is what you don't want.
You might be interested in this... Installing a Package

Offline Dee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 11:46:14 am »
The link Steel tiger gave is a great video for newbies. A year ago after spending months reading and watching lots of videos we stumbled upon that link. It made the most sense to us and sure is stress free both to the bees and new bee keepers.

I have spent a lifetime being fearful to the point of having a phobia about the little critters. This way I was able to stay to my surprise calm and watch them being installed.

Dee

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:48:16 pm »
Nonprophet, welcome to the forum and beekeeping.  :cheer:

There are way to many variations on installing packages. I suggest you find one you are comfortable with and try it. Write down what did and did not work for you and then adjust. Personally, I spray with sugar water several times just to keep the flying down. On a foundation only frame I use the rubber bands if the queen cage does not come with a mounting plate. I lift about 4" and then give a sharp bounce (this only dislodges the bees not shake them up to much. I then invert and shake bask and forth until about 70% of the bees are out. With my hive tool I gently spread the bees around and put the treated (sprayed with sugar water) frames in and close up the hive. I then put the cage with the rest of the bees in it within 4-6" of the entrance, facing the entrance. Within about 2-4 hours the rest of the bees will have left the cage.

You will see many different beeks on YouTube with and without personal equipment such as gloves and avails, I suggest you cover yourself with what you need so you are comfortable, there will be plenty of time for you to attempt dumb things later.

When I get stung, I rub the spot with green grass to cover the attack pheromone the bee will leave behind.  Good luck and let us know how you made out.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 09:16:37 pm »
Congratulations on getting your bees. I'm jealous.... :)

You are way north of where I am and I have yet to get my first bees. :(

I know I'll be getting a pkg on the 20th, as for the rest ????? No idea..

Please let us know how it went and what method you used.

Thanks

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Nonprophet

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:49:14 am »
Bees are doing great! I watched a demo at Glory Bee today (where I get my bees) and they stated explicitly that they felt shaking all the bees out was much better than "gentle releases" like in the video where he puts the package in the hive and let's them move into the frames on their own time.

I did what they told me to do which is take out all but two frames (and the frame feeder I'm using), put those two frames in the middle of the deep, and then shake the bees out into the hive. Slowly/gently put all the frames back in. Leave the package on the ground near the hive and the stragglers will find their way in. The only thing I didn't like is that they said to leave the inner cover off and put the top cover on kitty-corner for a few hours until they all go down in between the frames, but when I came back to put the inner cover and telescoping top on, there were a lot of them balled up under the top and still sitting on top of the frames which made it hard to get the inner cover and top on without squishing bees......I waited until dusk and went back to put the inner cover and top on. They were still kind of sitting on top, but when I slowly lowered the inner cover on top of them they moved out of the way--same thing with the top. They also failed to mention to be sure to hang the queen cage so that the screened side is facing out so that they can feed her until the eat through the candy--I didn't check that when I hung her cage and I was afraid I might have hung her cage wrong, so I had to reach in and pull her cage back out to be sure. The bees weren't super happy about that, but they didn't seem to hostile--though a lot of them did crawl on my hands (I was wearing my gloves) and when I got back to the house there were 2 or 3 stingers stuck in my leather gloves...... :-D

So, I just check on them tomorrow (just looking from the outside) and then wait 2-3 days before checking in the hive to make sure the queen is out and then remove her cage.

Thanks for all the well-wishes, this has been a lot of fun and I'm just getting started!

NP
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:02:48 pm by Nonprophet »
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little."
—Franklin D. Roosevelt

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 04:26:43 am »
 congrats on getting them in there. A puff of smoke might have helped them decide to go into the hive. It might be a pain to fire it up for 2 seconds use...but it's better than squashed or freezing bees.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Re: Re: Installing my first package tomorrow!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 07:41:15 am »
Feels good doesn't it. Have loads of fun.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2
Later,
Ray

anything