Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Red mites, not sure if they are varroas  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Snakey

• New Bee
Red mites, not sure if they are varroas
« on: July 09, 2011, 02:36:17 pm »
Hello all. I'm a newbie beekeeper from Maryland. So I've seen some bright red mite-looking things on bugs around my hive. There was a grasshopper with two on it and there was a daddy long legs with some. These things were bright red, not brownish like the pictures of varroa mites. I looked closely at my bees while inspecting them and saw nothing on them. I'll check my sticky board in three days but in the meantime can anybody tell me if these were varroas? Do they eat grasshoppers and spiders, or are these things something else? Thanks.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
Re: Red mites, not sure if they are varroas
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 11:00:18 pm »
I am not for sure if varroa have made as far north as Maryland or not.  At first it sounded like you were talking about red aphids.  But, I don't believe they feast on grasshoppers and such.  It could be a red mite which do feed on grasshoppers but they still do have the brownish color.  Without seeing a pic its hard telling.  Perhaps a quick google search could help identify what your seeing.

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 11:12:43 pm »
I think varroa is just about everywhere in the world now, but they are definitely not bright red. If you do not see them on your bees I would not be to concerned!

Offline Snakey

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 12:40:28 pm »
Thanks much for the replies! Varroa mites are indeed a problem in Maryland, sadly. I'll continue to keep an eye out for them but after doing some reading I think these bugs might be something called a "grasshopper mite" lol, which is a relief!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 02:50:03 pm »

Offline mjb1

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:17:54 pm »
I hate those things they make me itch so bad i want to scratch the skin off. If you apply some clorox with a Q tip to the bites it stops

Offline Snakey

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 06:03:41 pm »
I am, unfortunately, very familiar with chiggers, and that's not what these things are that I've been seeing. Thanks for the replies!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 11:54:14 pm »
Varroa are an obligate parasite of the honeybee.  I have seen them on Bumble bees, but as I understand they can only reproduce on honeybees and I'm guessing they brushed a honey bee and the Varroa hitched a ride.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin