Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Not propolis but not wax  (Read 10350 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Not propolis but not wax
« on: November 04, 2008, 03:53:19 pm »
I try to keep two cans on the workbench for when I'm scraping frames or boxes in storing them. Sometimes you come across a really big chunk of propolis, and sometimes there is some nice burr comb to collect and melt down.

But every now and then on the inside of the boxes, I come across something that is built like wax comb, but is darkened and looks like propolis.

Someone once suggested that if you try to bend it and it breaks clean...it is propolis. If it bends, then it's wax.

Is there some way to tell that is better than just bending it? And is there a way to process this "middle" stuff to separate the wax and propolis?

Does anyone have any ideas on what this middle stuff could be used for?

Comments?  Thank you.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: Not propolis but not wax
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:11:22 pm »
I always wondered why mostly I see on BB's little domes of cells but this stuff is hard like propolis, always kinda wondered what it was, figure propolis but made into cells, just thought it was some tough wax. never collected it really, just always threw it away. I dont see it but in a few hives a year and not a lot of it.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 08:21:42 pm »
I usually just boil it in water and then let it cool.  THe propolis will sink to the bottom and the wax will rise to the top.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 08:34:21 pm »
Sometimes it's a mixture of wax and propolis...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 10:26:56 pm »
What exactly does one do with propolis?  I gather a lt of it but usually cast it aside while cleaning up.  Should I be saiving it, and if so for  what purpose?
Brian

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 07:36:40 am »
>What exactly does one do with propolis?

Grind it up and take it in capsules.  Mix it with vodka and use for a mouthwash (scientifically proven to help prevent cavities).  Make varnish out of it (all the Stradivarius violins have propolis varnish on them).  Sell it to places who buy it for such purposes at high rates (see the bee journals for ads).  Mix it with wax when you make your own foundation to make it tougher.  Mix it with wax when you dip your hives to make them last better.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 07:41:48 am »
Throw it over your right shoulder,  works just as good, if not better than salt. ;)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 03:09:29 pm »
Put it in swarm traps for a "smells like home" effect on scout bees?  Set bits of it out for bees to gather/recycle on sunny fall days?  Melt it and dunk cardboard for firestarters?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 08:15:25 pm »
Chew it like gum.
-------------------

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 08:33:29 pm »
use it on your fingers to make it easier to turn the pages of a book!

your friend,
john

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:02:18 pm »
I am not sure I would spit out the vodka mouthwash, and I am definitely not sure I want to chew it like gum.  I have never tried either, so perhaps I am rushing to judgment. My son saw the varnish thing in the Dummies book and now he wants me to make varnish.  We have not determined on what we would use this varnish as I am no Stradivarius, but perhaps we could make a nice and very well stained birdhouse. 
Brian

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 10:21:51 pm »
We have not determined on what we would use this varnish as I am no Stradivarius, but perhaps we could make a nice and very well stained birdhouse. 

or perhaps an observation hive?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 11:06:52 pm »
Brian, just been saving that propolis I gather every time I work my colonies.  I have gathered much propolis over the past couple of years.  I keep a small glass bottle of it on my kitchen counter.  The rest I am going to make tinctures to give to my important people in my life for uses for their health. 

Anytime I need to travel with my imagination, through the scents brought through my nasal passages by the aroma of this jar of propolis, to a sunny and warm summer's day, relaxing, near the forest ---I open this jar and take several deep whiffs.  I am right there.  Right smack dab in the middle of the warm sunny day, breathing in the beautiful aromas of the forest trees, relaxing...relaxing...relaxing....this is the scent of the hive, too, that I love so much.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day and life, great health wishes to us all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 01:22:03 am »
Hello-
 Somewhere I read something about propolis and antibacterial and antifungal properties that could be used on atheltes foot as well as open sores, such as you might use tincture of iodine on.  In fact it talked about using it for cuts on people that had topical iodine allergies.  I believe it is diluted half and half with rubbing alcohol, and heated until dissolved.  I have also heard of it being gargled for sore throat relief.
 If you have a lot, I read on Glory Bee's website that they will buy it.  Not sure how much you need or what you have to do to process it..I plan to start one hive with caucasians this spring, so I may have to look into that myself! I am actually looking forward to utilizing it. 8-)

Good luck!
Charlotte :-D 
Sleep is overrated!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 10:30:01 am »
Bjornbee.  I took always have two of the containers for propolis gathering.  The propolis in our area (no clue what others' areas type of propolis is) is very auburn coloured and is very shiny.  Usually when I am gathering propolis for the particular propolis container, I only scrape off the propolis that is shiny looking.  This is generally outside, where the sun rays can catch that sheen.  Anything that is not that particular shade of brown, I put into the other container.  I melt it down with my wax when I melt it.  That way the pure propolis can be kept pretty darn pure.  It would be interesting to figure out if there is a way to define if this propolis that I think is 100% is.  I would one day love to know.  Good thread, by the way.  Have a wonderful day and life, love life, great health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 08:21:24 pm »
 Mine looks like incense.
your friend,
john

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 08:27:15 pm »
Thank you for the replies.

And I agree....the smell of propolis is one of the best smells! I love it. :)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 05:58:42 pm »
Yep, I've got a container of it on my kitchen counter, and every once in awhile I open it up, close my eyes, and sniff that nice beehive scent....

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 09:29:16 pm »
Mix the propolis in with some Potpourri and get some health benefit from the aroma therapy.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 11:17:50 pm »
Contagious  isnt it  :-D  RDY-B

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 02:43:21 am by rdy-b »