Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: At the base of a top-entrance hive  (Read 2045 times)

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
At the base of a top-entrance hive
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:56:24 pm »
On his website, Michael Bush writes that at the base of his hives with top entrances, he uses an 8-frame slatted rack attached with #8 hardware cloth.

My question: Is the #8 hardware cloth on the very bottom (on the ground) or is it between the bottom rack and the first hive box. In other words, should I attach it to the top or the bottom of the slatted rack?

(More naive questions to follow, I'm sure.)

Liz

"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: At the base of a top-entrance hive
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 02:53:26 am »
I used to.  If I had some eight frame slatted racks and didn't have to buy them I probably would again.  I sold all the slatted racks when I converted to eight frame (they were 10 frame) and I moved to solid bottom boards when I expanded to 200 hives so I wouldn't have to buy 200 feeders.  I converted the feeders to a modified Jay Smith bottom board feeder.

As to the original question.  I just put #8 hardware cloth on the very bottom of the rack.  I never put anything on the ground that is untreated wood.  The rack would set on treated four by fours or whatever other kind of stand I had.  On the 4 x 4s the grass tends to grow up enough to block the wind without a tray in, but if you put a 3/4" rail on each side of the slatted rack you can slip a tray under it.  That way you have the wind blocked and something to monitor mites.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
Re: At the base of a top-entrance hive
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:59:10 pm »
Thanks, Michael.
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

anything