Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: counting bees  (Read 7588 times)

Offline Wandering Buddhist

• New Bee
counting bees
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 11:32:13 am »
Wayne  :? ...

Inasmuch as fiction applies to writing, fiction is a literary work where the content is a product of the author’s imagination and is not necessarily based on fact.  That is, there is an expectation that the contents are anecdotal fabrications, or put another way, storytelling.  So, yes, a book that is fiction is considered to be just that- fiction.  Ergo, “BEING DESIGNATED as fiction by an author” DOES “necessarily mean its contents are… false.”

All storytelling, no matter the genre, contains some truth.  One cannot accurately label a revision or amendment of a congressional record a work of fiction, unless one is trying to make a political statement (and if you are, I suggest you take that thought to The Coffee House where it would be more appropriate).

Even without having read the book in question I assume you are familiar with the most famous Jesus of all (the carpenter from Nazareth).  As you rightly point out, amongst the Latin American community, many men are named Jesus, obviously as the namesake of the aforementioned Jesus.  Probably most of the women in their families are named Maria (Ana Maria, Maria Pilar, etc.).  But when one is stung and shouts “Jesus!” I do not think that s/he is referring to the fellow who works in the kitchen; so that point should have been clear.   :roll:

To your last point: were I a college professor of entomology you would have a reasonable expectation.  But you assumption there is incorrect.  I teach etymology.  While the terms appear to be similar and are often confused, they are quite different.  But I thank you for the attempt to discredit me, sir!

I am surprised that you are old enough to have gone to school with Mona.  :wink:

Offline stilllearning

• House Bee
counting bees
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 05:57:42 pm »
To discredit you was never my intention, if you feel discredited, consider this an apology.  I mearly ment someone with your probable resourses
had better answers for some of the questions.

I never figured you to teach etomology, I really suspected you to teach
relegious theology based on you posting name and attitude you
have shown in the banner here.

I dont appear to have been to far off, I dont think you can study culture without studying relegion

I have worked for a number of years with educators who taught in
subjects other than their disipline so I am not surprised.

As to my age, you would be surprised
I graduated from college some 40 years ago

Have a good day, and I have no political agenda, I gave that up when
I met JFK before he was president.
Wayne Cole

Offline Wandering Buddhist

• New Bee
counting bees
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 06:04:26 pm »
Wayne

What I do not know about bees would fill a warehouse.

I echo your apology if you feel one is merited through my assertive posturing.

I suppose I could have Googled that question but look at all of this nice information we have gathered in our chat here, and I got to meet you as well, so I am glad I posted.

You have a good day, too; I am back to work soon and dreaming of the spring already.

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
Re: counting bees
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2005, 10:37:23 pm »
Quote from: Wandering Buddhist
There was a book popular recently, The Da Vinci Code.  In it, it is mentioned that females outnumber males in the beehive, at all times, by a ratio of 1.618 to 1.  

Many folk have asked me if this is true.  I have never counted so exactly all of the bees in a hive, let alone tried to segregate them, so I do not know.

Do any of you know whether or not that figure is accurate?

Now I know I don't have to read that book if it is full of jibberish like that!

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
counting bees
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2005, 11:22:41 am »
Now I know I don't have to read that book if it is full of jibberish like that!

FordGuy, don't let a statement in the book like that deter you from reading it.  This is by far the best book I've read in a long time.  As was pointed out before, if you read it, and just keep in mind that what is in it, is in fact meant to be fiction, then you shouldn't be disappointed if you find out down the road that the person sitting next to Jesus in the painting "The Last Supper" isn't Mary Magdalen, but an old beekeeper that Jesus happened to meet the day before, and is coming by for dinner.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')