Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sprayed Swarm Recovering Nicely  (Read 1804 times)

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
Sprayed Swarm Recovering Nicely
« on: June 23, 2012, 07:35:35 am »
I picked up the remnant of a large swarm that had been sprayed on last Friday, last Saturday. I had never dealt with a situation like that before, so I just had to go.

What started out as a beach ball sized swarm had been reduced to under-inflated volleyball size. I suspected they were queenless after watching them for a while after hiving most of them them. When it appeared they were not going to stay, I ran home and grabbed a frame of brood and eggs from one of my hives. Well, that was the ticket, I tossed a bunch of bees back in the box and within minutes, the march was on.

I was expecting to see some losses still manifesting, but to my surprise, nothing like that happened. I popped the lid on them Thursday, and they have at least 6 queen-cells made and they look as good as any other bees I have.

Pleasantly surprised...........Joel

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Sprayed Swarm Recovering Nicely
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 03:41:05 pm »
It is harder to kill them out than most think. Sounds like you did good, and hopefully they will appreciate that you gave them a new start and pay you back with a super of honey! Might want to think of giving them a little syrup to help them along with pulling wax and rebounding better.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!