Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar for the bees  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Barnabus

• New Bee
Sugar for the bees
« on: November 02, 2005, 09:16:54 pm »
Hi:
I started 2 nucs this fall and i got a late start so I don't think they are going to store enough foor for the winter. Finsky says (if I understand him) that he pours straight cane sugar in his hives he did indicate he usually does the much earlier (Aug).
QUESTION:
Has anyone in the NC--SC area tried this?  Finsky if you read this is it to late to put the sugar in. Our winters aren't real severe but we do have single number temp days.
If there are anyone else out there that have any suggestions on how I might get these bees through the winter please feel free to answer.

Thanks
Barney

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Sugar for the bees
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 09:25:41 pm »
I've never done it, but I've heard of beekeepers in Missouri (a little South of me) doing it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Sugar for the bees
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 09:27:09 pm »
Quote from: Barnabus
Hi:
. Finsky says (if I understand him) that he pours straight cane sugar in his hives he did indicate he usually does the much earlier (Aug).

It is given brom big feeding box. http://www.hunaja.fi/tuotetieto/syottolaatikot.htm

I can see from map yuo live at the level of northern Africa. Have you snow at all ? You may give exta sugarsolution when ever you want.  From weather outcast I can see that just now you have same weather there  as we have in the middle of summer. I suppose you have flowers there and bees gather pollen?

It is better to give in one part that it does not develope brood. Give it as  60% -66% sugar solution. If you have one capped medium box it is enough in your climate. It is 30 lbs honey.

Ask someone local if one box full of food is enough in your climate.

In the hive it must be at least 10 lbs honey for rainy  week. It is 2 capped langstroth frame. Somethimes in Finland we must feed in June if hive is empty. At spring when they rise brood bees consume half of winter food during 2 months.

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 05:25:17 am »
Hi:
I started 2 nucs this fall and i got a late start so I don't think they are going to store enough foor for the winter. Finsky says (if I understand him) that he pours straight cane sugar in his hives he did indicate he usually does the much earlier (Aug).
QUESTION:
Has anyone in the NC--SC area tried this?  Finsky if you read this is it to late to put the sugar in. Our winters aren't real severe but we do have single number temp days.
If there are anyone else out there that have any suggestions on how I might get these bees through the winter please feel free to answer.

Thanks
Barney
                                                                                                                                                                                                              "Barnabus"  Here in SC we feed,{if we have to} corn syrup. We find sugar water too thin.  Its fine for cool nites but too thin for the hot days. we use 4 quart feeder pails. the feeder Pails are inverted and set on two 3/8 x 8 strips of wood over the inner cover hole. you also could use quart jars, the lids of the jars or feeder pail will have to have 8 to 10 holes drilled in it.  Very small about the size of the lead in a O.7 lead pencil.  You will need to place an empty hive on top of the inner cover to protect the feeder.  Then put the outer cover on and your ready to go.   Whats nice about feeding this way, even if it gets cool the bees can get food.  Its only a couple of inches away.  cef

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 08:18:44 pm »
Hi:
QUESTION:

Thanks
Barney

I think you can tell from the responses, you must have misunderstood Finman. It is a sugar solution he spoke about, not straight cane sugar. There are a good amount of responses here about how to feed the sugar solution to your bees (various feeders) I like and use styrofoam top feeders but you can use any of the above mentioned feeders with success! :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
Sugar in hives?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 08:50:38 am »
Hey Barney,
I am from NC and have a terrable ant problem in the nucs. I am very cautious. I feed a 1 to 1 sugar solution with the quart jars. I cut a hole in the top cover for the jar and feed them through the top cover. I cover the jar with plant pots to keep the light down. This has worked very well and I have less problems with ants.

anything