Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I am going to Brushy Mountain  (Read 7982 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
I am going to Brushy Mountain
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:07:59 pm »
Well since I am stuck in Charlotte for the day I am going to Brushy Mountain. I will tell my wife what I spent afterward.  :evil:

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: I am going to Brushy Mountain
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:28:07 pm »
Just tell her you caught the shopping bug, she'll understand! :evil:

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 12:38:07 pm »
Just tell her you caught the shopping bug, she'll understand!

Yeah!  Wives do that all the time don't they?   :evil:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Card

• House Bee
  • Ken
    • Wikipedia Photo Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 01:44:11 pm »
I'm pretty fortunate in that I only live about 30 minutes west of Moravian Falls, so I drop by there on a regular basis - mostly just to see what's new, and look for steals in the clearance/seconds building. I got really frustrated with the company this summer and took my ordering business elsewhere, but the people who work there are so friendly and helpful I still like to stop in and poke around a little bit when I'm in the neighborhood.
"You will come to learn a great deal if you study the insignificant in depth." - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 02:15:07 pm »
i've been there a couple of times...about 1 1/2 hours from here. nice winding mountain road to get there.

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:23:49 pm »
Wish we had a bee supply store closer to us. Shipping is getting out of hand.
BTW:
JP who do you use for supplys? Dadant in Paris ,Tx. is closest i can find.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 02:40:17 pm »
Shipping is getting out of hand.

You got that right.  $11 for a queen, $80 on a $200 wooden ware shipment.   :-x
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 03:28:47 pm »
Been several times ---- the store is not what I expected  :(.! All that space and such a little showroom. But of course their business is basically catalog.
John 3:16

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 03:41:01 pm »
Same thing happened to me when I visited Mann Lake, about 1 hour 30 minutes from my house. I was greatly disappointed as it was just a women sitting at a small table with a whole bunch of catalogs and a very, very large warehouse next door.There were some items in a smallish room to look at, but not what I expected. Not that much fun, although I did place a nice order with them.

Sacramento Beekeeping Supply in downtown Sacramento fulfills all those expectations and it so much fun. They have everything fun to look at, bee toys, cosmetics, candle wax supplies, clothing all displayed so nicely. Plus of course the equipment, but they do have higher prices because they order from the big companies. They assemble everything for me, no charge and I appreciate the owner operated attitude.

Not for the large beekeeper, but for a few hives in the backyard they can't be beat.

Annette

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 03:56:14 pm »
Tell her how MUCH MONEY You saved!! Not how much you spent. Always worked for my wife ;)
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 04:56:02 pm »
 Hey Brendhan, not fair, you're supposed to be down here in the wind and rain with the rest of us.
 Rick
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 09:05:54 pm »
Wish we had a bee supply store closer to us. Shipping is getting out of hand.
BTW:
JP who do you use for supplys? Dadant in Paris ,Tx. is closest i can find.

Yep, I call Terry and place my orders, she's very helpful, I like dealing with them, great customer service.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 09:47:53 pm »
ok what did you get??????  :evil:
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 11:15:26 pm »
Okay, first off. I want to introduce North Carolina to a novel item know as a street sign. Also I would desperately ask that they become familiar with an area more than 1 mile from where they work and live.

"Turn right where Bob's old barn use to be" is not directions or a landmark.

I mean people here are nice, sweet, very social (sort of) and completely bereft of any sense of direction.

What should have been a little over an hour to get there was three hours to get there. And to this place  to be nice, is in the middle of BFE. So for the benefit of future travelers I will now tell you how to get to Brushy Mountain. Pay attention this could save your life.

Charlotte (Big Scary City to natives, not so big to me) to I-77 North(toward where Santa lives). Exit number 65. This falls between to towns, Union Grove and Harmony. The hwy is NC 901 which is called Memorial Hwy. and yes there are a lot of cemeteries there. All filled with those who got lost trying to find Brushy Mountain Bee Farm. I know budgets are tight but how about a couple of signs people. You want to head west that is toward the Pacific ocean and California. If you see a sign that says HOLLYWOOD you have gone to far. However you will see a place on the south side called the Union Grove Burger Barn(it's not bad, kinda like a Dairy Queen without the franchise). It's a good landmark and one of only a few you will see. Now you drive on 901 and go west until it ends which is about 6 miles. 6 long miles of nothing. Now it's very pretty as long as you aren't concerned you have missed a turn. When it ends you are facing Hwy 115 aka Wilkesboro Hwy.. However that is only if you go south. If you go north it is Statesville Road. So remember south not north. Now don't speed or you will miss your next turn. Sorry to late in the time it took you to read this you missed your turn. You are turning right onto a street called Linney Mills Rd. Please do not confuse this with every other street in the area which also is some type of Mills Rd. Now Linney Mills Rd winds through more of the gorgeous area that is North Carolina county. People have been living here for generations they know everything about their neighbors and you aren't one. Tourist season is open year round and requires no permit and no license. And if you need to turn around in a driveway everyone will be more than happy to let you know they have a gun rack. Linney Mills Rd turns into Sulphur Springs Rd. However if you start seeing that you may have gone to far. Now they are doing some bridge work in the area. Correction they are doing a lot of bridge work in the area on different bridges all within a mile of each other. One is on Sulphur Springs Rd. Just past Sharp Mills rd(see another Mills rd). It blocks the road and should be a sign you have gone way to far. There is a big bridge project where Linney Mills Rd turns into Sulphur Springs Rd and a third turn off. That unmarked turnoff with a little sign that says Wilkes Co is the road. that is Brushy Mountain Road. According to the locals that bridge project is where the DOT is storing rocks. There are no rocks being stored there but there is a large bridge being built there. Don't ask how I know what the locals call it. Just be impressed that I know what the range of a shotgun is. So turn up the unmarked brushy Mountain Rd. In about 1000 feet you will stop due to the road being blocked by the backhoe that is working on the small bridge on Brushy Mountain rd(That's bridge #3 under construction for those keeping track). Once he decides to mosey on over an let you pass you will have finished War and Peace(A really long book) and continue down a road that actually follows the winding path you see on those yellow road signs that say you are on a winding road. Now this road goes for a nice stretch but you will only see two signs that indicate you are on Brushy Mountain Rd. So learn to breath as you hope you are in the right area. Now be careful because the one and only sign on the road that says you are near Brushy Mountain Bee Farm is behind you. Yup the big fork in the road with no road sign indicating that is Bethany Church Rd that is it. And it faces the opposite direction of your travel. The fact that I read it backwards in the rear view mirror should not be that incredible. The fact that I made U turn without going over the cliff now that is impressive. Drive up to Bee St (yes there is a sign there also, be amazed). And follow Bee St to the end. Don't worry I parked in the employee lot the first time too. When you go to leave you will have become familiar enough with that area of NC that you will be able to make your own shortcut back. Now I warn I have a pretty good sense of direction. I fear for those who do not.

I will follow up tomorrow with my wonderful time at Brushy Mountain tomorrow evening. I did enjoy meeting everyone. I just think that it is just slightly (warning understatement) out of the way.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 11:32:14 pm »
Great synopsis!!! BFE is right!!!

...JP ;)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 01:14:44 am »
Wander why they put it there, maybe tourist (Fla.) :evil: ;)!!! To some BFE to others Gods country :shock:. Go figure :-D.

All jokes aside it is in the middle of nowhere and two directions to get up the mountain to reach Brushy Mountain road and I'm still not sure which is better?
John 3:16

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 10:11:40 am »
I went to Brushy Mountain Bee Farm Tuesday. From 421 in Wilkesboro directions are a snap, and there are at least 3 bright signs on the road that direct visitors to the Farm. But it is in the country -- beautiful country -- Brushy Mountain Road runs along a high ridge, lots of farms, orchards, etc.

Here are some pictures. I'm not great at estimating acreage, but I'd say a hundred at least. The buildings and grounds are well-kept, neat and organized. Not much of a showroom, but as has been pointed out, this is primarily a mail-order business. I heard some comments among the employees about some things being back-ordered; dunno what's up with that. What I did see was a UPS semi 1/4 filled within a half-hour. It's an impressive operation. I picked up a couple of 8-frame mediums from the Bargain Barn for $12 each, some frames, and a screened bottom board.

Something else -- when I was in the shop there was a nice-looking man with a long ponytail who seemed to be working on a problem with the computer, so I assumed he was their computer fixit guy. Later he mentioned he was from Florida, and was harvesting Leatherwood honey. Could this have been Understudy?

http://picasaweb.google.com/hjdunlap/BrushyMountainBeeFarm
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline lovelyembalmer

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 10:58:29 am »
I always go to Brushy Mountain if we need anything because of the shipping.  Yes their store is small, but it does seem to have everything in it you need.  When we first started going up there, they had an observation hive in the store. It was neat to see a working hive like that. And unless you do know the area, (like Understudy found out), it is a bit out of the way.  But then too, they have lots of apple, peach, and other fruits for the bees to enjoy.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 11:51:03 am »
A City Slicker goes to the Country !

GPS wasn't working ?

Watch for the fork in the road, after the low-water, just a short ways as the crow flies.

Remember all the traveling salesmen jokes ?

Perhaps a aeroplane and a parachute would have been better.

We'ns will be setting on the front porch, watching you pass us by again, and again, and again !

Looking forward too your next visit, we'll have some vittles on the table, probably be cold by the time you get here if you keep driveing around in circles.

Take care now You hear !

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 02:10:21 pm »
You guys are too much!!

Don't worry Understudy, we have the same problem here in Jersey and I would hardly call where I live "country."

Everything is in relationship to which shopping centers used to have which stores (turn left past the old Caldor/Rickle's shopping center...that sort of thing).

The problem is, when I moved here it made me crazy - now that I have been here 18 years I find myself doing EXACTLY the same thing. It is very sad.

However, I would still be able to give you the name of roads/routes and actual present day landmarks, too.....

Sounds like you had quite an adventure. Can't wait to hear what you bought. Oh - and if you are the leatherwood honey guy that Eri mentioned, be sure to get it on the market quick - this month's Martha Stewart living recommends it for some of her recipes (although she lists Tasmanian Leatherwood). FYI, she is also pushing comb, hawiian white, corbezzolo, buckwheat, acacia, scottish heather, and orange blossom honeys.

- Jess