Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splits, more to share. Equalizing Population.  (Read 1104 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Splits, more to share. Equalizing Population.
« on: March 17, 2013, 11:16:46 pm »
I took a quick peak under the lids and found of the four larger splits I made, one has a pretty light population. Tonight I swapped location between the weakest hive and what looks like the strongest. This stronger hive is in it's original location. What I hope will happen is that the foragers from the stronger will beef up the population of the weaker.

This is book knowledge, I have no practical experience doing this. Does anyone have a better idea? I can't add bee otherwise because I'm not opening the girls at night. It will be thursday before I can shift some frames if needed. I'm trying to be proactive.

Oh Yeah-I saw SHB in the weak split. Looks like I've run out of luck. Time to level up my hives and fill up the oil pans. :(
Later,
Ray

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
Re: Splits, more to share. Equalizing Population.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:46:49 pm »
Be careful of a robbing situation
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: Splits, more to share. Equalizing Population.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 01:30:20 am »
You did it right.  The foragers will return to their home spot.  They will join the weak hive easily. 
I do this often here to balance nucs so they are all ready at the same time.
Works like a charm.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

anything