Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Too much syrup?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline limyw

• House Bee
Too much syrup?
« on: November 02, 2006, 11:49:03 am »
Would too much of capped syrup make bees lazy to work hence slowing down hive construction? Should I extract capped syrup and re-feed to them slowly, so make bees feel some pressure so they work harder?
lyw

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Too much syrup?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 12:14:19 pm »

You have in Malaysia summer all the time. Why you feed syrup?

Bees build as much combs as they need or as they are able to take care. If you feed syrup it only fills cells and take valuable room from brood and nectar.

Offline limyw

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 11:49:27 am »
You are right Finsky. Malaysia is always hot, but blooming season is not through out the year. Honey is insufficient during low seasons. Not forget too we may have rainy days continueous for few days, where bees have to stay home.
My major concern is whether would capped syrup occupied too large area of comb that make queen has no space for egg laying?
lyw

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 12:47:29 pm »

My major concern is whether would capped syrup occupied too large area of comb that make queen has no space for egg laying?

Hi, I visited 10 days in Lanqawi 1999. I wish to visit there soon, perhaps during this winter. Malaysia is marvellous and friendly country.

If hive is less than 2 deep box food takes too much room from bees.  I use to keep at least  5 kg food for hive. They use about 0,5 kg in rainy day.  So 10 days stores.

How big is your colony? How many frames it occupies? Are they cerana or mellifera bees?

Offline limyw

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 12:20:20 pm »
I only go 10 frames maximum, no super. I have difficulties to build super, and is very difficult to handle too. All I have are meliffera, about 150 hives. Finsky, if you come to Malaysia, you are most welcome to come to see my hives. Langkawi to my state is about 600km away. You can have direct flight from Langkawi to Senai Airport located in Johor State. One way could only cost EU50. You can have amazing island tour nearby too. When you want to return to your home country, you can leave via Changi Aiport of Singapore. That airport only 50km away from my area.
lyw

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 01:06:34 pm »
I only go 10 frames maximum, no super. I have difficulties to build super, and is very difficult to handle too.

You have something special system. It would be nice to see it. 150 hives is much.

Offline limyw

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 09:59:01 am »
I used to have more than 200 hives, but now reduced to about 150 hives, due to some unknown reasons. I am new in beekeeping, plenty of things to learn.  :?That is why I always invite beekeeping friends around the world to come to my place, for opinion exchange. Malaysia has very few beekeeper, and mostly are hobby beekeeper. :'(
lyw

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 11:02:18 am »
That is why I always invite beekeeping friends around the world to come to my place, for opinion exchange.

So I had better to look for tickets to airplane :-D

What is your main yield plant. I read from Flilippenes that coconut is very good. In Langawi I saw in wild tiny hive that they collected pollen before midday.  Those bees were very small like moscitoes and, black and end of wings were white. They were tousands in the tree hole.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 06:37:27 pm by beemaster »

Offline limyw

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 11:15:41 am »
Main yield plant is pineapple. Few hundred hactors of pineapple area supply nectar for my bees, non-seasonal fruit. Of coz, some wild flowers are also important nectar source. Oil palm suppling a lot of pollen, but my experience show pollen from oil palm tree is not so good. Bees grow to be smaller in size and less strong. Seasonal nectar sources are wild melaluica tree (July-sept), rubber tree (Feb-Mac) and some local fruit trees (mainly Jan-April). Sound amazing right? :-D
lyw

anything