Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Crack?  (Read 8223 times)

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
Bee Crack?
« on: October 16, 2010, 09:11:28 pm »
Ok. Am I the only person who has this problem? These bees are like crack. I have been being kept by bees for 8 months and am completely addicted. Facebook! Who cares about FB. I get home and logon to beemaster to see what is going on. My wife is picking out yellow and black lingerie, I read all I can about bees. I talk to everybody about them and wonder why 100% of them are not as fascinated as me. Can I get a witness? Please tell me this is normal and everything will be ok. My question is this, on a scale of 1 to 10, what is your addiction level? I have not quit my day job yet, so I think I am a strong 8.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Bee Crack?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 09:15:38 pm »
Think that's bad? Wait until your second year. You only have a taste of it so far.

1 to 10??  I'm a 12.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 09:17:13 pm »
You look at the time with the bees, thinking about the bees, working with the equipment, money spent on the bees, talking about the bees, and on the net doing homework about the bees, ya you could say that bees are crack.   Very addictive.

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 09:53:28 pm »
Just to be clear.... Bee crack = good.......Plumbers crack = Bad!
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline bull

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 11:24:50 pm »
i have both :'( , just wait youal be peeckin around the cornner because you dont wont them to know your smiten. Im amased daily by what they can do.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 11:26:52 pm »
"10" here!! My husband tells me I am a 10. He says I obsess about them. But I am much much better now than I was the first couple of years. Now I can even think about something else for a little while. :-D :-D

Tonight I totally forgot to go up and feed them. It was almost dark and I opened up the hives and placed the ziplock baggie's inside. They were all over me trying to sting me and all I could do is say "calm down my little loves, please be patient with me""

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 11:28:01 pm »
You better watch one of those cracks, when you are bent over moving boxes or frames, and a bee falls into the crack....   :-D  Talk about a bad place to get stung.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 11:49:02 pm »
bee crack and moth balls

...sounds like an "interesting" night on the town!

deknow

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 11:52:46 pm »
Annette, I don't think your hubby was talking bees when he said you were a 10.    :-*
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 11:53:18 pm »
It's just "bee fever".  There is no known cure...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 11:59:46 pm »
Annette, I don't think your hubby was talking bees when he said you were a 10.    :-*

was he thinking about pierce brosnan?  :-*

deknow

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 12:03:52 am »

was he thinking about pierce brosnan?  :-*

deknow
:lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: You guys really crack me up!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 01:13:40 am »
I never get tired of being around them. Bees never cease to amaze. Standing in the middle of a swarm or orientation flights, its like the saying stop and smell the roses, well stop and enjoy the bees, get right in the middle of them and take it all in, a mini escape if you will.

What's really cool about bees and keeping them is that the bees evolve, adapt and so do you, there are all these levels, so many levels and hurdles and doors that we go through and its just so dang exciting, and seemingly never ending.

What were we talking about again...

Oh, yeah, Bees!

Addicted and scarred for life, and that's a good thing.

Could be doing a whole lot worse things.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 01:33:54 am »
Yep, I am right there with you.  I started out last year with one hive now I have three and next year...  I have gotten permission to place 24 hives on public land plus another three here at home.  Lets see that takes me up to 30 hives Yippeee. :-D
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 01:35:05 am »
When you tell the people at work how you spent your Sunday tearing apart the walls of an old house, smoked yourself half to death, got stung up, got home after dark - and they are all looking at you like you are TOTALLY INSANE, because you had a good time - yeah, you know you got it bad.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 08:21:44 am »
Repeat after me... there is no life other than beekeeping.  Only the bees matter, we are their servants.... :-D

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 10:43:08 am »
Addictive is the best way to describe beekeeping.

Others talks about how bking is a great stress reducer.  Well, I find it causes me stress.  I worry about the girls all the time, especially right now with robbing going on.  I check on them a dozen times or more a day.  My husband says if he can't find me in the house he knows I am out with the bees.
I am always thinking there is something more I could be doing to improve their short little lives: feed them, keep them warm at night, protect them from robbers, wasps, spiders, beetles, mites.  

I am a real "hoverer."  I wasn't that way with my children.  Took a very tough love approach there.  I don't know what I will do when I lose my first hive.  I am sure I will need depression meds to get through it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:42:41 pm by ldaxon »
linda d

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 11:59:44 am »
The wife says im a mess with this bee stuff. I have to say im very much involved in learning about them. They always seem to amaze u with the things they do.  I am hooked and i love working with them and watching them expand their hives.  Its a good thing that we all are interested in keeping bees after all without the bees are lives wouldnt bee the same   :-D

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 10:17:23 pm »
My other half thinks I am cheating her because I spend more time with the girls.  ;) She was OK with the first few but now that things are expanding she tells me that I should have chose a cheaper hobby.  :-D

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 10:48:07 pm »
i have to say i am addicted also. i think i'm only at about a 9 so far.  i've been unemployed for several months now and don't know how i'll make the bills in a few more months and what really worries me ? do my bees have enough stores to get them through winter ? that's what i worry about everyday. i'd rather watch jp and schawee bee videos than what's on tv.  i sit by the hive and watch the entrance, watching them do their thing for hours. i put a bucket feeder in the field and watch as the number of visitors goes from just a few to a few dozen and then a few thousand. they're buzzing all around me and all i can think is  " this is coo l". i'm glad i'm not the only one that has caught the bug (no pun intended, or maybe it was )
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"