Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: An easier frame jig  (Read 11352 times)

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
An easier frame jig
« on: March 18, 2005, 12:16:11 am »
It isn't my invention, but I built one and it works great. Need pictures, I'll post some of mine. Basicly, just notch the two long sides so a board can slide through with space left for the bar ends. It's glued and screwed at the corners. I waxed everything with Johnson's Paste Wax so glue won't stick to it.

www.myoldtools.com/feeder/framejig1.jpg
www.myoldtools.com/feeder/framejig2.jpg
www.myoldtools.com/feeder/framejig3.jpg

http://www.merrilland.net/honeyhouse3.htm
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
An easier frame jig
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 09:32:53 am »
That's a much simpler design that the plans on Beesource.

Thanks for sharing
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline adamant

• House Bee
Re: An easier frame jig
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 07:52:14 am »
i am not a Carpenter but i am able to hold my own.... how is the notches cut? dado blade? also what size notches? is there plans with descriptions on line?
thank you

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:22:07 am »
i am not a Carpenter but i am able to hold my own.... how is the notches cut? dado blade? also what size notches? is there plans with descriptions on line?
thank you

Plans for Ross' jig can be found here -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/downloads/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 06:02:42 pm »
thank you.. one question..
i made it today and it seems that the 2 slats that you slid in to hold the hive frame sides are little loose(sloppily) . does that make a difference?

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 09:40:13 pm »
This is pretty much what mine looks like.  I also built one (after seeing a photo on mike bush's site) for doing 2 deep boxes at once.

Adamant,
I've thought that you could attach a plate with screws to the outside of the box that you could use to adjust the fit of the slats...or you could just get/make slightly thicker slats.....if it is a problem.

deknow

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 10:04:20 pm »
deknow: ya thats what i was going to do if the replys came back saying they need to be snug..
thanks

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 10:43:44 pm »
...mine are pretty tight, but I don't think a little slop will translate into unsquare frames...I never have a problem making frames straight even when nailing one at a time by hand.

Boxes on the other hand, are a pain to keep straight without some kind of jig...I'd rather assembles frames without a jig than boxes without a jig.

I agree about the plans on beesource...I scratch my head every time I look at them...way too complicated.

deknow

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 11:04:23 pm »
thank you
I built one today, have no dado blade so just moved tablesaw fence 1/8" at a time to achieve the desired notch
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 05:41:04 am »
i still dont get where to place that staple from the end of the frame to the top of the frame..

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 09:23:36 am »
Vince,
You should never use the fence and miter slide at the same time...for this cut, it's much more important to use the miter (to keep the workpiece perpendicular and straight).

This kind of cut never feels "natural" on the table saw (with the board sticking straight up), but if you set things up properly (I'd use a substantial piece of wood as support), there is no need for the fence...just take multiple passes, moving the piece over a bit at a time.

You run the risk of binding things up (and perhaps tossing wood/fingers around the room)....be safe with your table saw...don't use the miter and the fence at the same time!

deknow

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 09:59:58 am »
i made it today and it seems that the 2 slats that you slid in to hold the hive frame sides are little loose(sloppily) . does that make a difference?

Are they loose where they slide into the jig,  or are you saying the frame ends are loose when you are assembling.   If it is the first, that is not a problem.  If it is the frame ends that are loose during assembly, a few strategically placed strips of masking tape can fix that.

Part of the problem is that each manufacture has slightly different specs, so there is a good chance you will fight the tight/loose battle if you buy frames from different sources.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 10:04:52 am »
i still dont get where to place that staple from the end of the frame to the top of the frame..

3rd video ~8:00 -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/frames-and-frame-assembly/

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 09:27:40 pm »
If the bars are a little wiggly a couple of strategically placed thin wedges will solve that problem.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 12:16:51 pm by G3farms »
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 12:12:48 am »
Vince,
You should never use the fence and miter slide at the same time...for this cut, it's much more important to use the miter (to keep the workpiece perpendicular and straight).

This kind of cut never feels "natural" on the table saw (with the board sticking straight up), but if you set things up properly (I'd use a substantial piece of wood as support), there is no need for the fence...just take multiple passes, moving the piece over a bit at a time.

You run the risk of binding things up (and perhaps tossing wood/fingers around the room)....be safe with your table saw...don't use the miter and the fence at the same time!

deknow
Thanks
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline Zulu

• New Bee
    • Ballinger Bees
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 11:18:29 pm »

I attached some coarse sandpaper to the bar, and then use two elastic bands to pull the bar against the frame ends, works very well.
Newbee 2011

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 11:38:36 pm »
I attached some coarse sandpaper to the bar, and then use two elastic bands to pull the bar against the frame ends, works very well.

Good Idea

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline loumaro

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 05:41:50 pm »
Here is how I got around the looseness of the end pieces.
See pictures if I can load them.  I cut a 3/4 X 1/2 inch slot
at the top of the slot cut for the sliding board,and made
some tapered shims to slide in after the holding boards are inserted.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:33:39 am by Robo »
Louie

Offline loumaro

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 07:24:28 pm »
See if the photo got there this time
Louie

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 08:02:27 pm »
It will be a while before you can post pics.   Send them to a mod and they will post them for you.