Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Forcing bees down for the winter.  (Read 6548 times)

Offline EOHenry

• House Bee
Forcing bees down for the winter.
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2006, 06:27:35 pm »
Finsky.....

How do you feed the sugar to the bees after you take all honey off?  Syrup or some other method?
Thanx for all the replies and info on my original question!  I was happy to see a formula for determing how many deeps I should have for  over wintering based on brood size. I am going to try that this year as I think last year I too much room with 3 deeps on each hive.  I lost 2 of my 3.  May have been mites, not sure as I did treat for them.

eohenry
I bee a firefighter.

Offline EOHenry

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2006, 06:27:40 pm »
Finsky.....

How do you feed the sugar to the bees after you take all honey off?  Syrup or some other method?
Thanx for all the replies and info on my original question!  I was happy to see a formula for determing how many deeps I should have for  over wintering based on brood size. I am going to try that this year as I think last year I too much room with 3 deeps on each hive.  I lost 2 of my 3.  May have been mites, not sure as I did treat for them.

eohenry
I bee a firefighter.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2006, 11:40:27 pm »
I feed syrup, but these days doing a series of sugar shakes aides in feeding the bees as the bees make use of the powdered sugar they groom from themselves and each other.  Use some type of internal feeder to prevent robbing and feed 1 gallon or more at a time.  The bees will usually take a gallon in 2-4 days so frequent checks and refeeding is necessary.  To winter over you want to force the bees into a honey bound condition.  As the brood hatches the bees will backfill the comb with syrup.
Feed until the hive is full with very little brood space.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything