Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I need to get some Bees  (Read 1649 times)

Offline bwdenen

• House Bee
I need to get some Bees
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:56:22 pm »
I have a problem...I got a friend interested in Beekeeping so to my suprprise, he went out and got all the gear and got it set up.  He called me today to see if I knew where he counld get a package of bees.  I told him it's a bit late, most suppliers have stopped package delivery but I would check around.  My friend is in the Dayton Ohio area.  I'd like to pick them up, but delivery is not out of the question.  I'm keeping my eyes for a swarm maybe but I can't count on that.  Packages or Nucs, would be wounderful.  I hate to have gotten him interested then see him have to wait a year.  If it were me I'd either go crazy (or crazier) or give up. Thanks!

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
Re: I need to get some Bees
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:24:20 pm »
If you have a couple of hives yourself, you could pull a frame of brood from them with the bees and have him buy a queen and start a nuc for him to start.

Offline samuils

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 02:08:01 am »
Try calling these guys, seems they have nucs available on may 23rd

http://www.waldobees.com/about.html

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:40:01 am »
How far do you wanna drive? This is about a 3-hour drive for you. It's about an hour south of Indy. I've bought bees from them for years:
http://www.grahamsbeeworks.com/

Offline bwdenen

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 06:12:31 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I have my friend calling Waldos and Grahams to see if he can get hooked up.

Sparky I only have one ive strong enough to split and with the others struggling, I'm not ready to go that far...yet.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Bruce.

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 06:26:25 pm »
I put a post on Craigslist that said "honey bees wanted" in the farm section and 4 people contacted within the day that had bees for sale.
Lori

Offline bwdenen

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 01:07:21 am »
Just heard from my friend, Waldo's Apiary has him covered.  Thanks for the help!