Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Double Cut saw  (Read 6202 times)

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
Double Cut saw
« on: June 28, 2013, 12:54:28 pm »
Anyone else played with one. I got one the other day because I feel the vibratory saws are too slow. I find it pretty cool got it from harbor freight for 49 I think. I dont like the trigger its hard to work but it keeps you from turning it on by accident. 

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Double Cut saw
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 05:11:58 pm »
Can you add a link so we can see what your talking about?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 08:05:21 pm »
Reason I like it is you can use it as a plunge saw with no kick back

there is a video on the harbor freight site

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-double-cut-saw-68316-8065.html

This is a basic demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEiUXEPIUg

This is the most extreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zma-Ynxg3hU

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 01:17:54 am »
Mike, where have you been dude? If you haven't bought this saw yet, get you a multi-tool from H.F. Ask Schawee or Emil if they would use anything else on wood floors, soffits, etc...

When I purchased my first one, my sawzall, rotozip & skill saw just about became obsolete. Best tool for the money, hands down!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 01:32:17 am »
I burned out a multi tool this year they are cool but they take a while to cut threw, and I had one this year with like 5 old piece of wood siding to cut this year no way I would have used that multi tool. So I yanked out the skill saw and darn near took off my hand with the kick back but got the job done in seconds. The double cut wont kick back and will also eat threw nails and any thing less it touches. I also have found the fun of getting a multi tool in a nail lol.

Not saying the double cut is the greatest thing on earth I still have a multi tool I just added the double cut to the list that I bring. I really think you should check one out the blades are thin too cut couldn't be any thicker than a skill saw cut.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 05:54:44 am »
Mike,
Thanks for the info. First time I have seen this tool. I will definitely be getting one the next time go to HF.
JIM
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 10:05:42 am »
I too have never seen this.  Impressive to say the least.  I'll remember this when the need arises.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 01:40:53 pm »
Mike, one review I read seemed to be having an overheating problem, any info on that?  JP, which multitool exactly do you use?  With the ones I have tried, you can grow old and die before they cut through whatever material you are dealing with.  I certainly am looking for an alternative to the skill saw, I am a small person, and a skill saw kick back 20 feet up a ladder is nothing to joke about.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 11:03:57 am »
I dont know much about the over heating issue but they come with wax lub stick that run into the saw blade for metal cutting. Now the manual says they are not needed for cutting wood. I did take one out and send it into the blade when I bought the saw just to give it a  little lub.

Multi tools I used the harbor freight one and burned it up the first time I used it on a 2x12. I replaced it with a craftsman the craftsman is nice a lot easier to change blades and has a work light and has held up well. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2022, 07:34:01 am »
Mike,
Thanks for the info. First time I have seen this tool. I will definitely be getting one the next time go to HF.
JIM

Jim did you ever get one of these >double cut saws< ? I have had one for years, even before I did  my first cut out. I found they will overheat IF you push it too hard. But really, once you make the plunge cut with it you can switch to a regular >skill saw< in most cases. I still use the reliable old >Multitool< for close quarters. 

Phillip
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 07:48:31 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2022, 09:00:29 am »
I bought one. It WAS great for cutting through steel. Problem was that it over heated and is not working, typical HF tool. I have not stopped to see if it is repairable.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2022, 09:15:25 am »
I bought one. It WAS great for cutting through steel. Problem was that it over heated and is not working, typical HF tool. I have not stopped to see if it is repairable.
Jim Altmiller

It is repairable. It should have come with an extra set of brushes. They are easy to change. That is what I had to do' before learning what its limits where. You can feel it getting hot when in a strain and what I now do is lift it from the cut site and run it wide open for a few seconds allowing the built in cooling fan to do its job. Use in conjunction with a skill saw once the clean plunge cut is made on wood is my recommendation; Especially on thick wood, its just not made 'up to par' for continuous 'heavy' work.  Within these learned 'limits'; (learned the hard way) I get along with mine pretty good.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything