Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tag-along on cutout in SE TX?  (Read 4727 times)

Offline AmEricAs

• New Bee
Tag-along on cutout in SE TX?
« on: July 20, 2021, 03:39:59 pm »
Hi all,
As you can see, I'm new to the forum. I'm recently semi-retired and want to observe a bee removal or a few to gauge my interest and aptitude for the activity. I say observe rather than help since I guess novices may be of little help in these procedures. If I can be, I'll be happy to do so.

Anyway, is it unheard of for an experienced bee removal professional to allow someone who's interested but inexperienced to tag-along. I'm in SE Texas about an hour drive north of Houston. That is SW of Huntsville, NW of Conroe, SE of Bryan/College Station. Any suggestions on contacts or precautions would be helpful.

Thank you,
Eric

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 04:29:46 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Tag-along on cutout in SE TX?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 04:29:55 pm »
Hello AmEricAs, Welcome to Beemaster. Cutouts are the way I obtained my first hives of bees. I educated myself by watching youtube videos of folks doing bee removals / cutouts. By doing so it strengthened my confidence intensely, by observing what was being said and done, when I felt I was ready, I dove right into it. Two of those video folks are members here. One recommended I join Beemaster. Good advice given and taken! Hopefully someone will take you along on that cutout adventure you seek!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AmEricAs

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 04:47:51 pm »
Thanks Ben. I heard of beemaster from a video by JPthebeeman. My interest has grown as I've watched several dozen of his videos.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 04:55:40 pm »
Thanks Ben. I heard of beemaster from a video by JPthebeeman. My interest has grown as I've watched several dozen of his videos.

JP and Schawee are the ones I was thinking about when I mentioned the two. They are both members here but have not been active in a while. What I did was watch a video listening closely to what was said and then rewind, turning the volume down, zoom in, and watch what they did. Good Stuff! Beemaster2 here is a cutout man as well. He has some good post on the subject here as others have as well.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 06:35:20 pm »
Eric,
Welcome to Beemaster.
I?m sure someone doing removals would let you join them but I?m sure they would expect you to help.
I was called to just mentor 2 new beekeepers doing a cutout from under an old mobile home. I watched, told them what needed to bee done and let them do it. We all had fun.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AmEricAs

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 06:50:27 pm »
Thank you Jim.

I'm game to do as much as I can but thought it might be a case of a helper getting in the way (what I call the degrees of freedom factor). So, I am resigned to just watching if that is what is required.

I just got off the phone with a representative of our local beekeepers association. I called to asked about their meetings, and as the discussion progressed he mentioned having two removals scheduled between now and the end of the week. Sounds as if I'm welcome to come along and help. I plan to take him up on it.

BTW - remember degrees of freedom in statistics is n-1. When I was in graduate school we students sometimes had projects requiring several of us to work together as a team. We had one older professor who loved to join in. We called him the degrees of freedom factor because if he joined it was as if we had one less than if he hadn't joined. Great guy though. :happy:

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 12:08:56 pm »
I think it's fabulous to have help.  But don't expect to just stand out of harm's way, gawking in amazement. 

You will have to load the truck with ladders, hives, beevacs, many construction tools, protective masking gear, and cleaning gear.   

You will need to unload all that, carry it a distance from the parking spot, perhaps inside, or even upstairs to attic access where people are cringing about their walls being dented.

You will have to stand in sawdust, drywall dust, insulation dust, pick up debris and probably take a sting or two - or six.  Oh, and did I say, more carrying of various objects?

Count on being hot and sweaty and working hard for several or many hours.  However, it is exhilarating, and will teach you much about bees.