Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: trying a trapout.  (Read 10441 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: trying a trapout.
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 12:00:06 am »
Bailey, it's only been 30 days. I would give it another week before combining. She may start laying in the next 5 days. I try to give them 35 days minimum before giving up on a new queen.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 07:01:31 pm »
Bailey,

If the hive is acting normal, give it a little more time to see if she may start laying.  I did have one of my trap outs lose their queen and I had another that took 4 weeks to start laying.  I put in a frame of eggs  in both hives and was very confused as to why they weren't turning any of the eggs into Queen cells in one of the hives. The a week later there were eggs and larva.

After taking off one of my trap-outs prematurely I follow Iddee's recommendation of at least 6-weeks before removing the cone.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 07:03:05 pm »
well there still queenless but i took the bees honey and pollen and gave them to a small queenright hive that needed stores and bees.

the combined hive is running strone and i will be checking it as soon as it warms up a bit.
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.