Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what species of bees  (Read 1896 times)

Offline T.Smith

• New Bee
what species of bees
« on: November 29, 2008, 11:38:21 pm »
Hello,    I ran across someones apiary and was looking at their set up.  I couldnt help but notice that their bees were a distinct yellow in color. My minnesota hygenics arent this color. Anyone know what species or breed of honeybee this might be.   Thanks

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: what species of bees
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:44:54 pm »
Hello,    I ran across someones apiary and was looking at their set up.  I couldnt help but notice that their bees were a distinct yellow in color. My minnesota hygenics arent this color. Anyone know what species or breed of honeybee this might be.   Thanks

Probably those nasty old Golden Italians that have been around forever.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 10:39:12 am »
The ones that appear the brightest yellow are the Cordovan Italians.  They are a coloring, not a variety nor a race nor a species, just a coloring of Apis millifera ligustica and have a pruplish brown color where black normally is.  In other words, no black on them.  They tend to be a particular strain (although in theory it's just a color) and tend to be brood rearing fools.  You see them a lot in packages for this reason, regardless of the race of the queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline T.Smith

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 08:40:09 pm »
thanks

anything