Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm not doing very well  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Valarie

• New Bee
swarm not doing very well
« on: June 08, 2009, 07:28:12 pm »
This swarm landed in my equipment in the yard on may 7th. On the 20th I noticed multiple eggs in cells, checked them again on the 25th and still multiple eggs in some cells but a good pattern of normal single egg cells and developing larva. Today things don't look so good! Very spotty pattern with brown / black dead larvae sticking to the sides of the cells. I have not seen a queen in this colony and I thought it had laying workers, but now I think it has a disease.

Not the best pictures but can anyone help with a diagnosis and advise?
Peace, Love, & Sunshine!

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
Re: swarm not doing very well
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:38:14 pm »
Sometimes there will be a swarm when the main colony is threatened with disease, mites, spraying, etc. I do a visual check on all new swarms, as well as use only my own used equipment or new....to keep the chance of bringing disease into my hives.

I have also been keeping any new swarms in a different location to lessen the chances of my home bee yard being exposed to anything carried in by the new bees.

It could be possible that the main colony had disease, so they swarmed.

Brenda

Offline Valarie

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:00:51 pm »
Good ideas Brenda, thank you. So far, we have kept all swarm colonies here at home until they are building well, then move them up the hill to the outyard. I can see that I need more room already though! When I checked them the first few times, they seemed healthy- didn't see any mites or deformed wings, but I couldn't find the queen and there was crazy multiple eggs in cells. Can you suggest other things I look for on new swarms?
Peace, Love, & Sunshine!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:07:20 pm »
it could be EFB.  there is debate about treating for it.  try providing better ventilation by propping lid, etc.  you can treat with terramycin. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Valarie

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 08:35:39 pm »
I'm afraid it might be EFB, there was no odor indicating AFB, and I didn't see chalk brood larvae in front of the hive. I can test for ropiness tomorrow. What else should I do?
Peace, Love, & Sunshine!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 08:38:09 pm »
do a search on here.  i think it is not so uncommon.  i have never had to deal with it, so what i know is just what i have read.  some here have probably posted about it or MB may have info on his site.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Valarie

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 05:43:50 pm »
So I smashed at least a dozen cells and could not get them to rope out. Of course I've never done it before, but I watched Dr. Delaplane do it on his series. Michael Bush's site recommends requeening- can I just add eggs and brood to them? Can I just combine them with a healthy hive- or would it just infect that one too?

Here's a better close up of the carnage.
Peace, Love, & Sunshine!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 06:12:35 pm »
don't combine.  as i understand it from what i have read, requeening is probably not going to do it. 

i think you have a couple of options and if i were trying to save this hive, i'd probably do both.  put the bees on clean equipment.  treat with terramycin.

i know there was a post about this not to long ago.  maybe someone will remember or someone who has actually dealt with this can help you. 

anything