Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax moth damage in recovering hive question  (Read 2532 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Wax moth damage in recovering hive question
« on: March 29, 2007, 03:28:32 pm »
I have one hive that limped through the winter.  I just checked it at lunch and was pleased to see that the queen is laying well, there's brood in all stages, and it appears to be recovering slowly.  I did see one C-shaped larvae with an obvious varroa mite on it.  I also saw the queen who was laying as I observed her.  However, the wings of the bees I saw were good - not deformed - and the numbers have doubled since I last looked in the hive 10 days or so ago.  The queen is only laying in three frames on both sides in the center of a medium hive box.

However in two spots on outside edge frames (2 and 9) I saw about  3 inch by 1/2 inch places of what I think is wax moth damage.  These are probably frames I put in this hive from my dead hive because on one side of each of these frames is honey stored.  Should I do anything about these sections of wax moth damage?  Remove the frames (but this will mean removing honey stores from the hives) - or scrape it out?  Or will the bees take care of it?

Linda T

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Wax moth damage in recovering hive question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 10:20:49 pm »
Did you see the wax moth larvae? Or the cocoon they form in those areas? Perhaps on the corners of the bottom board.

If you do not see the larvae you are in good shape and the bees will repair the damage.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 10:30:37 pm »
No larvae and nothing on the bottom board but leftover powdered sugar from last week's shake......the area of damage has not changed in a week or so. 

I could remove the honey filled frames (there are 2 of them) over night and put them in the freezer for good measure.  And the good news is that the hive seems to be growing well although not as fast as the two hives from nucs.

Thanks,
Linda T

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 10:38:41 pm »
Leave them be for 24 hours if you see any more damage than freeze them.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible