Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello From Alaska, Soon Moving To Washington!  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Washington Yankee

• New Bee
Hello From Alaska, Soon Moving To Washington!
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:28:36 am »
Good Day All,

I'm a recently retired senior Chief in the US Navy. I flew in P-3C Orion's for the first 5 years and was a FMF Combat Corpsman for the other 19 years. I live in Alaska now, but I am planning on making the move to Washington where my military friends are closer. I plan on moving the end of summer, early fall, which will give me the winter months to school up and prepare for a new hobby in beekeeping. I just need to figure out how to manage my time between my other hobbies of shooting and ham radio, there are only 24 hours in a day! I hope to learn from this site and look forward to hearing from everyone!

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Hello From Alaska, Soon Moving To Washington!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:35:35 am »
thank you for your service and welcome.   I was stationed on Kodiak Island for 83 to 88.   Great place and great memories.   An old kodiak friend of mine found me on the net a few years back.  We started a 1980s coast guard kodiak facebook page.  It has built in numbers over the years and me now number 180 members.  Someone will post a old pic.  Out of 180 people there is always at least one that will remember everyones name and if someone is not a facebook member the search is on.   

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:01:43 pm »
Hey Danno, thanks for the reply! I was a rescue swimmer before I moved to P-3's, and in that time I worked a number of times with the Coast Guard, I believe were from Kodiak. I have got tons of questions, but not sure if I should start here or move to other areas. aybe I should wait to feel things out before jumping in on a new forum?

Jeff

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 03:09:44 pm »
Most questions fit into the general beekeeping section so I would go there first then fire away. 

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 03:14:34 pm »
Ask away and welcome to the forum.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 07:41:55 pm »
welcome

beekeeping is as time consuming as you want to make it.  keep only a few hives and it takes little time.  get addicted and grow your yard..... :-D

you must do your own ammo if you are still shooting.  the rest of us are locking ours up for fear of not finding more!

i was an FMF corpsman also. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 08:25:21 pm »
welcome

beekeeping is as time consuming as you want to make it.  keep only a few hives and it takes little time.  get addicted and grow your yard..... :-D

you must do your own ammo if you are still shooting.  the rest of us are locking ours up for fear of not finding more!

i was an FMF corpsman also. 

Alaska is the least restrictive state when it comes to gun laws, but ammo is almost non-existent up here, and when we do get it, we are limited to two 20 round boxes. Another reason why I am moving :)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:38:37 pm »
Another reason why I am moving

sorry to tell you that i don't think it's any better here.  i just scanned the shelf at our local store and there was nothing.  when there is something, the limit is two boxes, but it's whatever is in the box.

in the last 2 months i have found 2 boxes of 9mm. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 09:48:17 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Jeff.  I was also a Navy airdale.  Did a little time air sea rescue, then ADJ on Helo's, worked at base AMD shop when we were home.  Did a tour in Nam on carrier, Tico, then the Kittyhawk.  Bees are a lot of fun.  Good luck.

Joe

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 09:56:22 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.  

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Dash12721

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 12:25:30 pm »
Hey Jeff,  welcome to the club, though I won't hold it against you for being a brown shoe... Retired FC here (or FT if you remember back that far).  Im in the Spokane area if you're thinking this neck of the woods.

Just started my bees and it is AWESOME to say the least.

Fair winds and following seas on your move south.

Dash

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 05:58:57 pm »
Hey Jeff,  welcome to the club, though I won't hold it against you for being a brown shoe... Retired FC here (or FT if you remember back that far).  Im in the Spokane area if you're thinking this neck of the woods.

Dash
"brown shoe"   Have not heard that one for a few years!!!!

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 07:08:28 pm »

Dash
"brown shoe"   Have not heard that one for a few years!!!!

Howdy Dash!

Haven't heard that term brown shoe in a number of year lol! I went in 1986, and I believe the rating was still FT (Fire Control Technician?) I hope I remembered right. I miss the flying, should have stuck to that, far better than dodging rounds coming downrange :)

Jeff