Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: need a website created  (Read 11469 times)

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
need a website created
« on: June 18, 2007, 12:12:16 am »
Hi everyone:

Anybody out there interested in creating a website? I plan on hosting with zunibee.  I need one with archives, photos, FAQs, very short stories, and that will work with "dial-up".

Unfortunately, I am sort of "cheap", and hesitate to pay going rates charged by the local "professionals".

thanks, ayyon2157
William H. Michaels

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: need a website created
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 08:38:09 am »
Here is my new site hosted by Zunibee. Just went active on Saturday, so plenty of more still to do.
http://robo.bushkillfarms.com

If your looking to do it yourself, I can give you some tips.  If your looking for someone to do it for you, than I'm afraid your going to end up spending some cash.

Feel free to PM me if I can help.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline deantn

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 09:12:58 am »
Nice looking site.
After looking at barrel TBH got kind of lost as frame standing on end doesn't look the same in the next picture. :? Must of cut the ends off  after fitting to barrel. But nice looking TBH though.
Another question is why did you make the frames around the top bars, thought that the TBH was really supposed to be simple with just the top bar not having frames all around. But really nice looking comb on the frames and glad to see that it works for you.
Beekeepers are an adaptive bunch as we all know. :)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 09:37:03 am »
The frames just consists of a top bar.   The rest of what you see is just a holder I built to rest the frames on while doing and inspection.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline topbarslo

• New Bee
    • Public domain photos
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 08:21:15 pm »
Use some content management system like sNews from solucija.com and get some free templates from my website which I sold recently ... minimalistic-design.net ;)

If you need some help with code just PM me ...

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 05:26:08 pm by Robo »

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 02:06:37 pm »
JUST A DIFFERENT THOUGHT:

My entire Beemaster.com site (minus this forum) was made using Mozilla Composer. It is a point and click method of making nice looking and very functional websites. Check my home page as an example of what you can do with NO HTML KNOWLEDGE - you drag and drop, point and click, and cut and paste yourself a wonderful site. I'll post here the simple tools I use to make Beemaster.com pages.

Mozilla (not FireFox version) follow this link. It has a program that allows you to create NEW webpages, or Borrow page layouts from other site design and saving it as your own template to design nearly any  look. http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/ - click there for Mozilla Suite - it contains EDIT which opens Composer, the gem of the Mozilla Suite.

Coreftp lite - a free download which you use to upload images and music and all files to your Site at Zunibee. If you have an account with him, I'm sure you already have you ftp info (passwords and username access to the FTP place where you ORGANIZE logical file layout, then of course have a place where you need all your files related to a website. Coreftp allows you to simply drag any files simply from your hard-drive and "the left side of your screen, and your web host upload directory on your right. You simply drag from one side to the other to copy files - easily uploading photos and music and all files. Go to Core Ftp here > http://www.coreftp.com/download.html

My point is making a website isn't that hard to do - free software and a most and your ready to go - that's when writing your own text comes in and you have a website :) These two programs will cover everything a simple site designer needs. Hope you try them.

You could always join us in VOICE CHAT http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=5880.0 where we are building two sites now!!! Jump in and learn by doing hands on. Peace :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline topbarslo

• New Bee
    • Public domain photos
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 02:27:46 pm »
beemaster I agree that composer is a way for non-html people to make their own homepages.
Just for the info ... there is standalone version of composer ( not suite ) at http://www.nvu.com which is also great for people learning web design ...

Offline topbarslo

• New Bee
    • Public domain photos
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 02:29:08 pm »

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 03:22:59 pm »
Topbarslo:

That NVU is pretty awesome - I'm giving up my quirky Composer, that is one slick interface. Thanks so much for that!!!!

Here is the link for Windows Users to Download NVU - it is a VERY COMPLETE program which you'll do any website need to do especially a personal site. http://cvs.nvu.com/download/nvu-1.0-win32-installer-full.exe is the download for Windows.

I just realized it has a FULL FTP client built in, you only need THIS PROGRAM and no Core Editor - wow this program is sweet, thanks again!!!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 06:44:09 pm »
Why waste your time with HTML,  get a free CMS (content management system) like WordPress , Drupal or PHP-Nuke.  You get consistent looking pages across your whole site without having to do layouts for every page. There are plenty of themes available,  and if you don't like them, you can create your own cascading style sheet (CSS).  One simple file that controls the look of your whole site.

I've messed with NVU,  and it suffers from the same issues as all the other WYSIWYG webpage making tools.  Sometimes what you see is NOT what you want to get.  If you want anything with any type of complexity to it,   you end up using a lot more functions than you really need and the code gets really messy and complicated. You end up with a lot of intertwined commands and then end up with different result with different browsers.   

The time spent learning how to use such a "powerful" WYSIWYG and where all the functions are laid out,  would be much better spend understanding CSS.

The other nice thing about CMSs are that you can make one change and it propagates across the whole site as apposed to having to edit every page manually when using straight HTML. 

Spend your time on the content of your site, not screwing around with the look of every page.

Offline topbarslo

• New Bee
    • Public domain photos
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 06:53:48 pm »
Robo also what you say is true. Myself I rather spend time on php and learning curve of some content managment system. Drupal is great while Wordpress is just a blogging platform really...extendable though...
php-nuke I really don't know nor like its portal interface ...

I use sNews from solucija.com ... it is easy, small, xhtml/css template based and extendable as you like ! including other php snippets and script is a matter of include function :D

NVU and alike are applications for rapid design and NVU is I think doing very good job at it. It is also for people who don't want to mess with html and css.

For each its own ...

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 10:16:07 pm »
PHP-Nuke is like windows,  it has a large following and is therefore popular, but is actually poorly written and has many security holes.  Don't even think about trying to run a HTML validator against it because you will be overwhelmed with errors.  I've used it and wouldn't recommend it,  you are not missing anything.   Yes WordPress started as a blogging system,  but has become much more now that they have introduced widgets.  I am currently using it and am pretty happy with it.  I have used Drupal in the past as well, but couldn't get comfortable with the way the code was laid out when I wanted to do my own modules.  But that is just a personal issue, nothing to do with the product,  it is good as well.

The nice thing about these are that you don't need to know PHP to start using them,  in fact, most hosting services these days offer fantastico that will automatically install it and configure the databases for you.  You only need PHP skills when you want to write your own modules/plugins.  I started using Nuke before I knew PHP and module just find a module that was similar and hack it up.  After a few modules, I was pretty comfortable with PHP.

And yes, to each his own.   The biggest challenge for someone starting out is to understand what their options are.  Unfortunately there are a lot of commercial WYSIWYG webpage builders with lots of $$$$ for advertising and not much advertising for CMSs because most of them are opensource.  If anyone is interested in trying a CMS and needs some help, just let me know.

Offline Clegs

• House Bee
  • Let the good times roll!
    • CalebGo.com - Gread dissusion forums, programmers, hobbiests, or just anyone
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 01:15:47 pm »
I like Drupal, but I've heard it is not the easiest to set up.  Fortunately now days you don't need to know any programming to put up a website (but it helps a lot).

I've always been coding my websites by hand because I get more efficient code and is easier for people on dial-up.
If you want to make your site more dial-up accessible, I would suggest trying to learn some HTML.  It is not very hard and will give you better results for dial-up.  There aren't very many low-bandwidth solutions out there because virtually everyone is on hi-speed.

But I would try Drupal and if you can't figure it out, check out wordpress.
calebgo.com - My website

Offline Bizzybee

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 01:55:03 pm »
I've not used Coreftp lite. Maybe take a look later at that? Filezilla is sweet. I use an FTP client because I can work offline open up Filezilla and dump the entire site and have it only upload changed files. I'm done in about a minute or so and off having my coffee. Unless I'm doing those pesky pics anyway.

If we're mentioning cool software? Try "The Gimp" for your graphics flies. It's from Linux for those of you that don't know it. But the Windows port is great also. Thumbs up!

Offline Clegs

• House Bee
  • Let the good times roll!
    • CalebGo.com - Gread dissusion forums, programmers, hobbiests, or just anyone
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 01:49:44 am »
Dude, I love The GIMP!  It is awesome, there went my dreams of getting photoshop.  (In a good way  :-D)

What kind of budget are you on?  You could also pay a couple hundred bucks and get something like Adobe Dreamweaver or Microsoft Expressions.

If you need some software set up on your server, I'd be willing to help.  If you are interested PM me and we'll set a time to talk on ventrilo or something.
calebgo.com - My website

Offline Misko

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 04:08:39 am »
@topbarslo do you know where can I ges some templates for NVU? :?
Sory for my bad english.

Offline topbarslo

• New Bee
    • Public domain photos
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 05:24:27 am »
@topbarslo do you know where can I ges some templates for NVU? :?

Hey Misko

You can get lots of free templates on these websites. Just download, unzip to some folder and then open it in NVU ....

http://www.openwebdesign.org
http://www.oswd.org
http://www.opendesigns.org
http://www.minimalistic-design.net
http://www.free-css-templates.com/free-templates.html
http://www.solucija.com/home/css-templates/

There are lots more of this kind of sites all over the internet. Usually you can get them when viewing those free templates and in the footer there is link to the authors website and there you will probably find more templates ;)

If you need help creating one just shoot me PM :)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 08:58:47 am »
topbarslo, you do know that KompoZer is the improved version of NVU?  Although it hasn't seen much development lately!  I know Daniel Glazman isn't working on NVU anymore, and it currently developing Composer on the Mozilla platform (ever, every so slowly).

Anyways, I'd suggest taking a look at KompoZer if you're interested in an NVU type program.

Offline topbarslo

• New Bee
    • Public domain photos
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 09:52:40 am »
topbarslo, you do know that KompoZer is the improved version of NVU?  Although it hasn't seen much development lately!  I know Daniel Glazman isn't working on NVU anymore, and it currently developing Composer on the Mozilla platform (ever, every so slowly).

Anyways, I'd suggest taking a look at KompoZer if you're interested in an NVU type program.

Hmm didn't stumble on this one ... it seems that NVU is also not so much updated lately ....

Anyway  I don't use any of this wysiwyg software....I am sticking with notepad++ on WinXP platform and bluefish on Linux(Slackware) ....

Once you get around css and html it is easy to make a design out of the head ;) So if anyone wants to learn I highly recommend tizag.com tutorials....

http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/
http://www.tizag.com/cssT/

anything