Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New to Beekeeping  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Umbriel971

• New Bee
New to Beekeeping
« on: September 28, 2004, 02:14:21 am »
Greetings all!  I hope that you have all had a successful season.  My Father and I are going to get back into beekeeping after a 25yr Hiatus and I have been doing a lot of research on the web.  I was very small  (only 9) the last time my father had bees and remember that I was facinated by them.  I have been in contact with a local supplier of Bees and he has the new Russian variety of beess available.  I have done much reading on this breed because I live in northern Ontario in Canada and need a breed that will winter well.  I would appreciate any comments, advice or anecdote on this type of bee, or accounts of experiences.  Field reports are so much more informative than other reports.  I am highly enthusiastic about my return to beekeeping and would also like input into thoughts of keeping bees in an urban setting.  My Father has 200 acres of mixed plains and high density coniferous forrest with fields of Alphalfa, wheat and the usual mixture of hay type foiliage, as well as a number of feral orchards and wild berry.  But he lives 60km's away and i would like a more personal relationship with my bees.  Any thoughts?

Furthermore, we anticipate problems with Bears and Skunks.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Bee well and God Bless

Matt and Ruth

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
New to Beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 03:07:30 am »
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline steve

• House Bee
shunks'n bears
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 07:52:45 am »
Good morning Matt,
          Much has been written on the Russian bees, thier hygenic behavior
       and hardiness to name a few, and in your neck of the woods hardiness is a concern. As a honey producer I have found that the Russian falls slightly behind the Italians in overall production....but our honey flow here in the mountians of North Carolina is considerably different than what you'll have.
          As far as skunks are concerned just build your hive stand at least 45 to 60 cm off the ground. Skunks don't like to expose thier soft bellies to thier evening meal.
          Now for bears.....I have found that a good high tencil electric fence with a really hot fence charger works exceptionally well...
        BUT......if you get a really hungry bear to come through your area all bets are off..........
                           Good luck,
                                       Steve

anything