Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: PETA  (Read 11656 times)

Offline jacob

• New Bee
Re: PETA
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 12:41:15 am »
I agree with everything that was said. However don't underestimate the havoc they can cause ounce they zero in on an issue. Sportsmen stay in conflict with them over hunting and trapping rights in every state. Many of their supporters are wealthy and they will use that support to advance there agenda.
family first

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 12:49:09 am »
I don't think anyone is underestimating them, we just think they are crazy.
I am well aware of their connections, there are several celebrities that campaign for them.
Jessica Alba just got charged for defacing property in connection with PETA, Pamela Anderson does practically nude billboards for them, Daryl Hannah, Hayden Penattiere....

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 12:57:39 am »
Some one once said libralism is a mental disorder and the people from peta are as libral as the come. and look how nuts they are.

Hey--careful! A person can certainly be liberal and be FAR away from the PETA mentality.  :roll:
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 01:18:19 am »
PETA are a bunch of clowns.

They need to:

a) get a life
b) get real
c) mind their own business

Hope she choked on her indignation.

No respect for PETA whatsoever.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 01:25:16 am »
Hey--careful! a person can certainly be liberal and be FAR away from the PETA mentality

but a person can not be PETA  and not be a liberal!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 01:27:19 am »
What I don't get is having such complete disregard for animal life while supposedly completely protecting animal life. I heard about them opening up fish farms on coastlines, where--of course--all the domestic fish were immediately eaten. Or loosing the mink, which immediately get devoured by predators.

I guess I get that they probably think if they do it enough they will dry up the markets, but still...

It reminds me of folks who think it makes sense to shoot abortionists to stop abortion.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 01:34:28 am »
they ran a fir store in portland out of business.  the store had been there for over 100 years.  a family business.  they picketed, spray painted customers, blocked sidewalk, took their clothes off, harassed people on the street.....and a judge refused to restrict their activities.  so much for the social contract.  finally, the business gave up.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 11:31:59 am »
they are a mindless group, with nothing better to do, anyone that thinks that dogs or cats or birds, need to be free running, has no rational or intelligent thought patterns at all. dont they watch the animal planet, about all the starving dogs and cats left on the streets of our cities.

OH and my bees are not fenced in, they can go anywere and any time they want.  :-D
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 11:42:26 am »
they need to come on up and spend a night on my mountain.  they might not think those critters are so much fun after that.  :evil:

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 11:56:30 am »
Well, the thing that I have always found interesting about PETA (and more so about their so-called 'members') is that there isn't really any membership in PETA.  Most who claim to be 'members' are nothing more than financial and/or time and services contributors.  People who are actually 'members' of organizations have voting and membership rights - no such rights exist within PETA.  Ingrid Newkirk (the founder), along with three others (her close friends) are PETA's officers for life (Newkirk is the president of PETA).  People who give money and time to PETA are doing so to support Newkirk and the other officers lifestyles (I hear that she lives in a multi-million dollar condo in D.C.).  It has always made me chuckle when I hear these people tell me that they are 'members' of PETA.

The posters on this forum are correct as well - PETA kills a lot of animals, often needlessly.  I think that they are less about animal welfare and more about lifestyle politics.  IMO - I have always thought that if you want to be animal/eco friendly then you should be:
1.  Keeping bees for honey/sweetners (do that)
2.  Keeping chickens for eggs (I would but our town forbids it - although I did when I lived in OKC)
3.  Hunting for your meat (do that) - or getting your meat from
4.  Keeping a garden for your vegetables (do that)

It is interesting to me that PETA (and other so-called environmentally friendly groups) do not advocate any of this.

Mike

Offline Dubhe

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 12:05:11 pm »
they ran a fir store in portland out of business.  the store had been there for over 100 years.  a family business.  they picketed, spray painted customers, blocked sidewalk, took their clothes off, harassed people on the street.....and a judge refused to restrict their activities.  so much for the social contract.  finally, the business gave up.

I think most of us agree that their ideology is beyond extreme.  They issued a press release criticising Obama for swatting a fly.  I suppose malaria mosquitoes should be off limits also.

You're being unfair (and inaccurate) to allege that they're allowed to engage in acts of harassment and property damage.  They have been arrested and prosecuted for criminal acts.  Don't confuse their right to demonstrate with unlawful behavior.  It is, after all, our Constitution that grants them this right.  ELF and ALF took these agendas to another extreme and law enforcement followed them for years until they were brought to justice.

Offline wharfrat

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 12:24:19 pm »
This is one of those threads that could go on...and on...
PETA folks are the fruitiest I have ever seen....I'm all for ethical treatment of animal..I guess my ethics are just different than theirs..

Anybody been watching 'Whale Wars"..?  I'm trying to figure out where I stand on that one...I don't particularly want to see whales killed unless it is by the eskimo type 'indians' that truly rely on them for survival..but the people on the show remind me of PETA nutcakes..which almost makes me want to go eat some whale meat...but not quite..

Just shows you how complicated most issues really are..

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 12:29:13 pm »
You're being unfair (and inaccurate) to allege that they're allowed to engage in acts of harassment and property damage.

in this case, i am not.  even though they were photographed engaging in these activities, which went far beyond peaceful protest, they were not stopped.  when the fir store took them to court, the judge threw the case out and forced the fir store to pay the legal fees for PETA and co.  his reasoning?  the fir store did not know the names of the people they have taped, and should not have sued PETA, but rather the individuals.  this, even though PETA had taken credit for organizing and supporting the protesters.  

if the same had been done in front of an abortion clinic....for more than a year!,  all would have been in jail.  if the names had not been known, law enforcement would have found out who they were.  many of them were known to the press because they are "professional" protesters.

i support peaceful protest, but his was harassment aimed a closing a business.  in the end, they were successful.  the business closed.  

since when does peaceful protest include vandalism, harassment, public indecency, etc?  ah...but this was portland.  overflow city for the San Fran kooks.

Offline Dubhe

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 12:53:53 pm »
Being unfamiliar with this case, I would have to agree with you that law enforcement dropped the ball if they didn't investigate and pursue criminal charges for such obvious violations of law.  Sometimes in the midst of "adversarial government" relations, private, special interest groups, who operate without the safeguards and checks and balances that apply to government, will become the real usurpers of our freedoms.  Look at the insurance industry, Google, and groups like PETA.  How about the epidemic of political correctness on our college campuses and in the media.  Orwell's 1984 is here, but it turns out that it's the private sector watching and controlling us, not the government.

But I'm taking a stand.  They ain't taking my hive tool until they pry it from my cold, dead, fingers.

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 01:17:38 pm »
Wow...that's just crazy!!

Well, this winter I'll be wearing my beautiful mink coat out in the cold, enjoying a nice hot cup of tea with home grown honey when I get home & dreaming of another summer with my bees.. 8-)
Sleep is overrated!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2009, 01:23:40 pm »
But I'm taking a stand.  They ain't taking my hive tool until they pry it from my cold, dead, fingers.

:cheer:

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2009, 01:44:39 pm »
I think we should be nice to PETA ,, lets show them that we DO NOT enslave bees ...
lets ask them to come and we will show them how the bees do what they want and go were they want .. 
Now some of you in the south must have a few  good strong hives of AFHB , that we can use for this ..  now remember we want as large of group as we can get .. and after its over ,, we will load the hive in there car and they can take it , and let it go were ever they want...

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2009, 03:59:17 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback.  The "lady" I spoke with just recently found out that I am a "factory farm " pork producer, (a big business in my area)  so now she is off the bees and into my hogs.   I will have to start locking my barns for the first time iver and pray that I catch her on my property "liberating" some of my livestock! wish me luck

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 04:05:23 pm »
be careful.  why peta is not on the list with elf and the rest  is beyond me.  we have been through this on the horse show circuit.  they sabotage tack, turn the cattle lose, etc.  they say what they do is not dangerous, but if you fly off your cutting horse because someone cut the cinch stitching, it's dangerous.   they never touched the horses, but i suspect they knew it would be a SSS if they did.

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 04:10:15 pm »
They have been known to "liberate" entire barns of hogs around here.  The break in and open all the pens and leave the doors open.  The only option is to shoot every hog you see or they will start to destroy cropland.  2200 head of fat hogs on the loose is no fun!