Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Wintering" the Hives  (Read 2005 times)

Offline zzen01

• House Bee
"Wintering" the Hives
« on: September 08, 2009, 01:05:10 pm »
OK it's September... What do I need to start doing to "Winterize" the hives?

Offline homer

• House Bee
Re: "Wintering" the Hives
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 01:11:32 pm »
Most importantly the hives need to have plenty of stores to make it through winter and the queen needs to be laying a good brood pattern with lots of brood to help the bees make it through winter.  If you have 2 deep brood boxes they should weigh a good 100-150 lbs to make it through winter.  If they're not there then start feeding 2:1 sugar syrup, and just keep an eye on the queen to make sure she's on the ball!

Offline shemer

• House Bee
    • my beehive
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 01:20:23 pm »
I am sorry if topic got mentioned before, but has anyone here tryed to "wrap" the hive with linoleum or oilcloth, I am not sure of the word. Basically it serves as wind protector,because 80% of heat losses of the hive attributed to windy conditions during the winter.

I put a wall in front of mine beeyard but was told that it is almost nothing, and hives need to be wrapped. I am in Moscow, Russia, where wheather conditions similar to, well... I think of those in Chicago.

Offline Mistura Fina

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:13:03 pm »
Our winters are generally mild on the central coast of California, U.S.A. I didn't do anything last winter and the bees flew all through the winter. I think a good thing to do is insulate your hive. Wrap some roofing felt around and on top of it. That, and the natural heat the bees give out should keep your hive warm through the winter. I have heard that the inner parts of a hive can be as warm as 92 degrees Fahrenheit in the middle of a cold winter when insulated this way

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 08:11:16 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything