Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lucerne  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
Lucerne
« on: May 07, 2016, 10:19:43 am »
Hi,

I have been offered an apiary site on some lucerne but am unsure if it's worth the effort. 

Any body with experience of bees on lucerne?  Is it a good honey producer? Any info would be gratefully accepted 😊

Cheers

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
Re: Lucerne
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 10:31:55 am »
I had a few hives on Lucerne but I think that they may have also picked up a bit of nectar from messmate. They did really well, with bee numbers increasing very fast and plenty of honey. One hive that was from a swarm that  season  has already been split.  (They were nasty ) i only had it for a few weeks as it was then used for stock feed.  Lance

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 01:03:42 am »
Cool thanks.  Is it an autumn flowering crop or spring?

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 07:36:56 pm »
It all depends on what they do with it as it can be cut a few times a year for dry feed. Flowering could be from late spring to autumn, I had the bees on it in summer.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 07:38:56 pm »
If they cut it for hay, which they usually do, it will bloom several times a year.  But usually here, they cut it as soon as it even starts to bloom... to maximize the protein content.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 08:41:39 pm »
Ok thanks, I'll see what he does with it.

anything