Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Warre' hive, first opening.  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Arthur

• New Bee
Warre' hive, first opening.
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:10:18 pm »

I just installed a package of bees into a Warre' hive last Saturday, and I need to go in and get the sugar can and queen cage out. Should I pull the quilt, remove a couple of bars, and get the stuff out or should I separate the two boxes?  Seems easier to manage coming in from the top, but the Warre' theory is to not open the top of the hive, or at least open it as little as possible.

Ideas?

I'm totally new to beekeeping, and all of the established beekeepers within 50 miles of me are commercial/semi-commercial operators with Langstroth hives.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Warre' hive, first opening.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:41:23 pm »
The bees are most likely clustering from the quilt.  I would suggest splitting the boxes, which would be less disturbing to the bees.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Arthur

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:54:16 pm »
Ok, thanks. Think I'll need to smoke them, or will sugar water do the trick?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:35:34 pm »
Where are the feeder and queen cage located?   Depending on the locations, you may be able to take them out with no smoke or syrup.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Arthur

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 04:37:41 pm »
They are sitting on top of the bars of the bottom box, two boxes total. So I would have to pull just the top box, grab the can and cage, and try and get them back together without squishing them or getting dive-bombed.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 04:43:17 pm »
Yes, try and separate the boxes as gently as possible as to not knock off any of the cluster that will be hanging from the bars of the top box.  If you have someone help you it would even be better, then you won't have to set the top box to the side.  You could pick it straight up,  remove the feeder and cage and set it right back down.   If the weather is nice,  you should not need smoke (or syrup spray).   If there are bees on the feeder or cage don't try to shake them off,  just set them in front of the hive and let the bees find their way back into the hive on their own.  Thsi will cause less of a disturbance and make it quicker.   

Offline Arthur

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 05:22:16 pm »
It should still be at least 70 degrees out by the time I get home from work, though the hive will be a little shaded in the late afternoon. Unfortunately, I only have one veil, so I guess I'm on my own for this operation.

Offline Arthur

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 10:49:37 pm »
I opened up the hive and retrieved the sugar can without incident. Yay! That made me pretty happy, considering the 12-14 stings I received when installing them. That part was mostly my own fault, but that still doesn't stop me from being a little gunshy.

They still haven't released the queen yet, so I guess I have to go back in in a few more days to see if she's out, and release her myself if need be.

Offline WPG

• House Bee
  • The Land Between Two Rivers
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 11:00:12 pm »
Congratulations

Search around for pictures and/or videos of Hive Lifts, some are made with 2x4's, some with pipe. Some roll into place and can carry a load around.

The ones that you have to set in place and will only do a straight vertical lift would still be a big help with Warre's and just one beek.

Goodluck
Push, Pull or get Out of the Way

Offline Arthur

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 11:10:29 pm »
I saw a picture of one of those lifts. Looks pretty easy to build, I just need to find some time. I have a tendency to take on more projects than I have the time for...

anything