Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Bee Awareness Day  (Read 1457 times)

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
Honey Bee Awareness Day
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:01:01 pm »
Interested to hear what everyone did for National Honey Bee Awareness Day and how it went.

We held a tasting of local honey and held an impromptu "round table" discussion involving several local beekeepers and many of the visitors who turned up in response to the event being picked up by the local papers.  Met a lot of very nice people and learned a thing or two as well.  If anyone here came along I'd like to thank you.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Honey Bee Awareness Day
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 04:09:34 pm »

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 01:46:43 pm »
Slaphead,
Are you from the Lewis County area?

Reason I ask, is that I still need to add that group to the list on the national honey bee day website.  I'm sure a few groups just never forwarded over their programs and were not listed.

The snowball definitely grew in the days leading up to the event. The day was recognized by the U.S.  Department of Agriculture, and this spurned some interest. If you do a search "National Honey Bee Day", you will find many press releases and media coverage of the day.

Hopefully many more groups will be joining us next year. The website is being updated and more information will be posted very shortly.

We want to say Thank you to all who participated. New people were signed up for bee clubs, and many more were educated on what they can do to help the bees. Many, many reports coming in from very successful programs from  Maine to Florida, to California. Bee groups increased their membership, and sold bunches of honey too!

We invite anyone reading this to get involved.

Thank you Ken.... :-D

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 10:42:17 pm »
Hi Ken,

I'm with the 21acres in WA.  You had us listed, thanks.

The event has raised a tremendous amount of interest in this area.  Highly recommend it to others who want to raise awareness in their areas.

Grant
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

anything