Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WHITE GRAINY SUBSTANCE @ MOLD  (Read 7134 times)

Offline WALTC

• New Bee
WHITE GRAINY SUBSTANCE @ MOLD
« on: April 07, 2013, 05:27:27 pm »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Finally got time and weather to open my hive and found some disturbing conditions.  Started hive las spring and they produced some honey, but due to the drought and the need to draw comb, not enough to harvest so I left it for them in the upper box.  In addition to letting them have all the honey, I fed them over the winter with one of those black feeders that replaces a frame.  They were using it up about every two weeks through mid Feb.  Then the consumption dropped off a bit but still had a pretty good population.  Well now, the top box had about 200 - 300 bees and all the frames looked good.  Still have some capped honey on some of the frames.  But the brooder box was nothing but dead bees with bees in various levels going into or coming out of the cells.  Since this is my first hive, not sure what's going on there.  It looks like brood hatching.  Anyway, some of the frames had a white grainy looking stuff in some of the cells and there was a bunch of this stuff on the bottom mixed in with the cadavers.  And two frames had a wad of bees covered in mold.  Never did see a queen.

So the questions, are what happened?  And what do I do now?  I posted some pics of the worst of the frames so hopefully you guys can tell me what happened, and what to do now.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:26:30 pm by buzzbee »

Offline WALTC

• New Bee
Re: WHITE GRAINY SUBSTANCE @ MOLD
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 05:30:03 pm »
I thought I had attached 7 photos, but they aren't showing up in my post.  Some help here in getting them posted would be in order.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 06:46:28 pm »
you probably don't have enough posts on the site to attach pictures.  one of the moderators can help you. 

i left you a note on FB
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 07:12:50 pm »
You can't post directly to the forum. they need to be posted offsite with a link attachment . If you want you can forward the phtos to:
photos@beemaster.com
and I will add them for you if you'd like.

Offline WALTC

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 08:02:04 pm »
That would be great.  Watch for email.

Offline WALTC

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:58:40 pm »
Keeps coming back as undeliverable.  Posted pic to the FB forum.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 10:14:28 pm »
I just got in, I received the pics and will add to your post.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 01:18:26 am »
If you were keeping sugar water inside the hive all winter, along with the heat that the bees produce, it's possible that the sugar water that the bees decided to store fermented.
You might want to test that frame in the top picture for AFB. It looks from my prospective that you have capped brood that are discolored and sunken in. Maybe it's mold, but better to be safe than sorry.
 Best of luck with it.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 06:51:24 pm »
It's honey and pollen all over those frames.
The honey is fall( dark ) capped honey. Frames look good to me.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 08:18:04 pm »
I don't see anything wrong.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 12:22:20 am »
That grey is normal wax phenomenom. Nothing wrong.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 01:01:49 am »
If the white grainy stuff is in the cell and is on the top as you are looking in from the side, it maybe varroa dung. If this the case your hive could have had a high varroa population going into winter, as you know creates all sorts of issues.
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

anything