Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A newbee question all the way  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Billybee

• House Bee
    • My myspace page for beekeeping
A newbee question all the way
« on: September 25, 2009, 04:59:42 pm »
Is it normal to have a lot of bees underneath the screened bottom board just hanging around? There was always a few but, now there is probably around a 100 0r better. The hive is on a stand 20" off the ground. There is a mite board in there too. They  are between it and the screen.
Can somebody tell me where I can find a foundation tree?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: a newbee question all the way
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 05:22:17 pm »
What is normal is to remove the mite board until you are ready to do a mite drop count. Put it in storage.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Billybee

• House Bee
    • My myspace page for beekeeping
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 12:50:37 pm »
Sometime it's as if you have to save the bees from me ;)

I just thought that since the mite board came with the hive that it just stayed in there. So much to learn.

Thanks,

Billy
Can somebody tell me where I can find a foundation tree?

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 01:15:52 pm »
My bees did this a lot when I first got the hive and it freaked me right out!  I was told to just be sure the queen wasn't stuck under there in the middle of them and otherwise it was probably normal, but may be because they are too warm inside the hive.They still hang out there some but not so much now.  We made sure the queen was topside and I did prop my cover up a little to try and increase ventilation a little in case they were hot.    After I did that the number decreased.  Removing the mite board will probably do the trick. :).

love,
ziffa

anything