Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: two new queens  (Read 2940 times)

Offline bill

• House Bee
two new queens
« on: April 09, 2005, 10:20:13 pm »
well I finally got my two queens that I was going to start nucs with. One of them is installed with a lot of young bees some honey and brood a lot of the brood is drones but It was one I found brood on first I looked hard to see that the queen but didn't.the new ones had eaten pretty far into the candy so I didn't punch a hole cause I didn't want her out too soon. I understand that I musn't open ther hive for several days. Tomorrow (sunday) I have to start the other one and I will have a good time it is a very populous hive now. I have to do a lot of work and it is full of burr comb the other body I got the first brood from was my first time in a hive and I pulled the brood frame apart. I understand it better now that you have to slide them to the side first, top and bottom to get them loose.  Maybe it will go better this time anyway I am learning. the queens were in the mail a lot longer than I thought they would be and I had a dead worker in each of them. Thery were the first queens that I  have seen, and they sure look a lot like a workers I guess I will have to wear reading glasses tomorrow. I looked in the top today and I have almost a fulll short super of honey on top I don't know how much this will slow them down but there is sure a good flow going here. I will write some more tomorrow.  Probably give you guys something to laugh about it is sure a lot different in the hive than in a book lol
billiet

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
two new queens
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 12:35:33 am »
It is different getting to get in the hive. But cool huh? No book fully prepared me anyway. It was all a big learning experince the first year. And this site helped alot.

Beth

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: two new queens
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 08:23:29 am »
Quote from: bill
Maybe it will go better this time anyway I am learning. the queens were in the mail a lot longer than I thought they would be and I had a dead worker in each of them. Thery were the first queens that I  have seen, and they sure look a lot like a workers I guess I will have to wear reading glasses tomorrow.

Bill,

It is not uncommon to get a dead worker or two with the queen. Although she look kind of small now,  she will get bigger as she starts to lay and they feed her more (then she'll look like the ones you see in pictures). Hopefully you got marked queens, otherwise, i highly recommend you mark them yourself.  A marked queen is the easiest way to determine they haven't swarmed or superceded.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison