Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeper developing a beesting allergy. Advice needed.  (Read 1266 times)

Offline thevoice

• New Bee
Beekeeper developing a beesting allergy. Advice needed.
« on: March 02, 2010, 08:03:34 pm »
So this is the story.

I've been beekeeping for about 18 months now, I've received the requisite few stings that everyone gets.  Over the last few months my reaction to stings has been getting more and more severe, I received one sting on Saturday, on my finger, that resulted in swelling past my elbow, my worst ever reaction, though things have been heading this direction with past stings.  I couldn't use my hand, wrist or elbow properly, in the end it responded to a strong anti-histamine and steroid, and painkillers so I could sleep for two nights.  I still have residual aches and pains in my hand, with the last of the swelling.  We are talking really huge swelling, I've never seen anything like it.

At this point I'm looking at getting rid of the hive.  I love beekeeping, I love the honey, the process, most things about it, but it is simply not worth it if I'm going to be stung and react like this.

I use normal clothes for protection, with gloves.  Mostly this works, but obviously I still get the occaisional sting.  Are there clothes available that are completely, utterly sting proof? 

Any other thoughts?  Even with better protective clothing I'd still be nervous.  Anyone been through anything similar?

Cheers

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Beekeeper developing a beesting allergy. Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:46:38 pm »
i have the same kind of reactions although mine have gotten neither better nor worse over the years.  what you are exhibiting right now is a sensitivity, but since yours are getting worse, you could end up with a true allergic reaction.

i can not tell you what to do about your hives, but i will tell you what i do.

i wear jacket with attached hood, gloves, jeans and boots when i work the hives.  i keep both liquid and tablet benadryl close at hand.  if i get stung, i take a swig of the liquid and when i am done i take the tablet benadryl.  that is usually enough to make the swelling less, but sometimes i have to take benadryl over a period of time.  i have epi-pens from my doc in case i every have a full blow allergic reaction. 

any stings i get thorough clothing do not seem to be bad.  it's the bare skin stings that cause me the most problem.  i'd say that you need to talk to your doc and maybe see an allergist to see if there is something they can do for you.  for sure get the epi-pens just in case.  even if you give up beekeeping, you may be stung by other things and if you are going to have problems, better to be prepared.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
Re: Beekeeper developing a beesting allergy. Advice needed.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:03:59 pm »
If your sting is red hot and swolen it might be an infection. I got stung by one of my girls when I added some winter feed got stung and my arm swelled the girl gave me a bactiral infection from Nosema. might want to check it out.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

anything