Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what pollen still in northern vt?  (Read 5322 times)

Offline windfall

• House Bee
what pollen still in northern vt?
« on: November 27, 2011, 08:14:01 pm »
It is almost the end of november and one of my nucs is still bringing in pale yellow pollen today. What are they finding? The fields are dead and brown. we have seen many nights in the low teens and some snow.

They have been doing this every warm up for the last month, None of the others are at all. Can I interpret that somehow (extended brood rearing?) or does it just signify that they found a source somewhere that the others have not (seems less likely)?

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: what pollen still in northern vt?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 09:44:51 pm »
I have a few hives that are bringing in pale pollen also. We have had hard frost and light snow here already but I counted 15 dandelions behind the barn.
I can top that with the 3 fat drones I saw today walking into an entrance.

Offline windfall

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:09:55 pm »
A few weeks ago we had some...very few really.... fall dandelions, and at the time I figured that was what it was. They are long gone now within 15 miles.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 11:05:32 pm »
May be a few asters hidden under some cover. Thats the pollen color I get from asters around these parts.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 11:14:46 pm »
I saw some new goldenrods blooming out in the woods this weekend down here in Georgia.    They may also be robbing/ cleaning out some dead hives somewhere also. 

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 03:28:03 pm »
I have seen a lot of pollen being brought in also.   Here the fields are all brown under 6" of snow.  I'm guessing it is witch hazel pollen. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamamelis_virginiana
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 01:17:09 pm »
11/30/2012 temp 60 sunny bees bringing some pollen in.

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 05:20:32 pm »
They could be bringing in dust from bird feeders, or grain dust of one sort or another.

I often caught my bees at the trough I fed cracked corn to the beefs I was fattening last winter. They were loading up on the corn dust. Saw them at the bird feeder too on occasion.

Joel

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 09:05:31 pm »
They could be bringing in dust from bird feeders, or grain dust of one sort or another.

I often caught my bees at the trough I fed cracked corn to the beefs I was fattening last winter. They were loading up on the corn dust. Saw them at the bird feeder too on occasion.

Joel

And you can see the same thing in the spring and I have seen bees bring in wood saw dust all so.          

X:X   X:X   X:X

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 10:18:28 am »
Not dust the real deal still a few dandylions along the south facing side of sheds

Offline BeeManiac

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 05:53:31 pm »
Bees also work peoples bird feeders. They will get pollen off of the harvested seeds. Its a pale tanish color

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 12:47:33 am »
I watched them bring in a bright orange pollen all last winter around here.  Any day they can fly.  I have no idea what's producing it, or where they get it.  Right now I see an occasional Dandelion, the last one in noticed went to seed in a week.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 10:19:41 am »
Dust of some type would also be my guess for VT right now.

When no pollen is available they will bring home the most disgusting stuff if temps allow for flying. 

I've seen them rolling around in 'used cat litter' and then bring it home, most likely attracted to the minerals in the urine.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 12:25:38 pm »
Last winter my OB hive brought in black dust and packed it into the cells. I suspect it was coal dust from the power plant across the river. They never used it and I cleaned out those frames in the spring.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline wouldliketobee

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 10:41:33 pm »
Here in Southeast ,Iowa  I noticed dandylions blooming yesterday, also saw bees in the timber on the leaves on the ground  I assume collecting something,we have had highs in the 60's and 70's  the past couple of days.

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 10:04:10 am »
The witch hazel is in bloom here. Not alot but in the protected areas it shows yellow flowers.

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 11:01:52 am »
still seeing dandys blooming in some lawns if it would stop raining the bees could work it mid 60,s

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 12:36:33 pm »
First year guy here. Is this a normal winter? Or, is this a repeat of last years "no winter" winter. I didn't have bees therefore I don't know how they were affected. My bees are bringing in pollen pretty heavily.
Later,
Ray