Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Maryland Beekeeper  (Read 2456 times)

Offline bzzzybee

• New Bee
New Maryland Beekeeper
« on: April 08, 2008, 10:08:51 pm »
Hey there.

We just found this forum and are overwhelmed by the volume of information to digest!

We're new beekeepers on an acre of land in Carroll County, Maryland. Just finished a 5-week short course, and our bees will be arriving in less than two weeks (we hope). I'm busily constructing the hives (well, my daughter has taken the task of putting the frames together), and we should have them up, painted, and ready to go in time for our nucs.

I'm looking forward to talking to everyone, but mainly I'm hoping for folks who can help answer my questions as I'm still struggling through remembering terminology and getting acquainted with the various tools. We're hoping to keep our bees with a minimum of medications, etc...not organic, exactly, but as natural as possible. It seems like there's a lot to learn, and I hope you'll all bee patient with me  :-D

-bzzzy

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: New Maryland Beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 11:31:28 pm »
Welcome and ask away at the questions. We've all been newbies and needed help and found it here among a bunch of kind and caring people.You will get lots of advice!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 12:38:10 am »
bzzzy.  Welcome to our forum, so glad that you have found us, and yes, this will be your place for learning, you have seen that already.  You will have a mountain of questions to ask, you will be learning new stuff every day.  Ask all your questions, never hesitate to ask any because you may feel it dumb, nope, not a single dumb question, so ask.

Nice that you have taken an interest with the honeybee and your family is working with you, your children will be good helpers. Lovely.  Welcome, enjoy your stays.  Love our lives we all live and share.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 07:16:08 am »
Hello and Welcome!

We just had another Carroll County short course grad join the forum:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=13946.0
Did you happen to meet in class? Maybe you could be "Bee Buddies"!

I met Bill and Nancy Troup, Maryland Master Beeks and State Apiary Inspector last summer. Cool folks - they even have a dog trained to sniff foul brood! Oh, and I'm envious of your bee license plates:
http://www.licensepl8s.com/mdimages/BEE.jpg

One more thing - one of my favorite things about the forum is the 'search' function. I can often find answers to my questions without having to post and wait for responses. (Yes, I'm impatient and want answers immediately!).

--Indy

Offline bzzzybee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:10:09 am »
Hello and Welcome!

We just had another Carroll County short course grad join the forum. Did you happen to meet in class? Maybe you could be "Bee Buddies"!

I met Bill and Nancy Troup, Maryland Master Beeks and State Apiary Inspector last summer. Cool folks - they even have a dog trained to sniff foul brood! Oh, and I'm envious of your bee license plates.

One more thing - one of my favorite things about the forum is the 'search' function. I can often find answers to my questions without having to post and wait for responses. (Yes, I'm impatient and want answers immediately!).

--Indy

Yes, the other CC beekeep is my partner-in-crime on this new enterprise! So we do know each other very well.

Bill and Nancy were there for the short course. Very nice people, and we purchased most of our equipment from them.

As for the license plate, we're going to HAVE to get those. They're great!!!

- bzzzy