Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Saying hello with a couple questions  (Read 3461 times)

Offline bluewolff

• New Bee
Saying hello with a couple questions
« on: May 28, 2005, 12:19:35 pm »
Hello everyone. I have been checking out this forum for a couple of days now and I really like it. Just registered today. I hope to learn alot from you all. With that in mind here is my present situation and goals as well as a couple of questions.

Right now me and my family (married with two great kids) have relocated from Flint to saginaw (Sorry dont know if any of you are from Michigan). We sre staying with a couple of dear freinds who have two acres of land until we get our own place (which is 120' x 140' and in the city). Within a few years (5 is the goal) we want to buy some property in the range of 5 - 10 acres that we can homestead on.

What I want to know is if it is to late into the year to try a start a colony at our freinds place or if it would be better to wait until next spring to start one and just read, learn, and build a hive box (extra frames, supers, stands) for a house.

Also wanted to know if where we live there are a lot of wasps could this be bad for a hive or helpful to us.

Thanks for taking the time to read my long post(sorry will tryto keep it shorter next time).

P.S. - sorry thought of a nother question didnt want to start a whole new thread. Could someone please explain to me what a "winter well" (i think thats what its called) is, does, how it works. thanks agian.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 12:40:46 pm »
If you go here;

http://beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=1339

You will see how many is in your state. And while you did place a location in your text someone is going to ask you to place it in your profile.

I think every one has a lot of wasp. They are not much of a problem to the bees. I even had a wasp nest in one of my hives. But when the colony gets strong enough they will take care of the pesky critters.
Can't help you with the other stuff as I know very little about your part of the country.

Your's was not a long post. You should see some around here. We got some long winded people on here. They just don't know when to shut-up. They just keep talking and talking. Yappin' and a yammerin'. And you wish they would cut it short and stop putting in all the needless stuff. But no they just keep going and going and gonig. Sort of like the energizer bunny don't cha know.

But me, you don't have to tell me more than once to shut up. Nope not me. Why I shut right up, un like a lot of people just a yappin' and a yammerin' on. Yep I know when I said enough by golly and I shut right up.

So welcome aboard and don't worry too much about the leangth of them there post. Cause like I said...... :lol:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 12:43:57 pm »
Nope never heard of a winter well. Gonna have to ask some of the more seasoned bee keepers and this here board. Perhaps they can tell you in two words or less I don't know.

There coming to take me away :shock:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 12:45:13 pm »
What can I say? It's wet and muddy out today.  :?

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 12:52:29 pm »
I don't know what a winter well is either, but my bees did winter well.  Stood the cold, had enough stores, came on strong when the weather changed.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 03:47:19 pm »
Your weather is similar to Massachusetts weather. If you can get a nuc within the next week or so, you will probably be okay, but not much later than that.

Is there a beekeeping group in your area? Join it. Perhaps someone has a hive they will split or sell.

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 05:26:54 pm »
Jerry.... you are so crazy! LOL

Watch out for that one bluewolff, Jerry has the ability to turn a conversation about nothing into a TWO PAGE, 59 post thread. :) And actually make it fun at the same time.
Read here for the whole story: http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=1577

I never heard of a winter well. Hmm. Can't help you on that one. But as to whether or not you could start a hive this late - yes, you can. The big question will be whether or not you can find a supplier that has bees this time of year. The big purchasing time for bee packages is acually in the fall, and the bees get delivered in the spring. Some people found this year that trying to go out and get bees in March is nearly impossible. Every supplier they called was out. But it's possible that they have some package again now - bees multiply fast. The other question is..... will the supplier still ship them this late. I bought my first package at the very end of June, and they wouldn't ship them because it's too hot by then. Had to pick them up myself.
So..
- can you find some? (unsure)
- will they ship? (unsure)
- do they have time to grow before winter? (Yes)

Beth

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 08:20:00 pm »
sorry thought of a nother question didnt want to start a whole new thread. Could someone please explain to me what a "winter well" (i think thats what its called) is, does, how it works. thanks agian.

Wow...a "winter well"...I have never heard of that...maybe  thegolfpsycho is right...Healthy bees do "winter well"  if taken care of properly... However, I don't see them 'winter well' in a well in winter, especially if that same well is full of water....:wink:

Could you recite the context in which you have heard those words?

Offline latebee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 11:38:46 pm »
I am only taking a guess here,but perhaps a"winter well" is some variation of a winter cellar.Years ago some keepers would place thier colonies in an underground cellar for the winter-the idea being higher survival rates with less honey stored in the hive. I don't really know if anyone does this anymore? I have never talked to any one who keeps thier bees underground for the winter.By the way welcome to the forum!
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 12:58:34 am »
ya know
  If you put your bees in your well for winter
 It would be hard work If you had to pull your pump
and all the comb would get all messed up
 do russains winter well, Itailans not as well

a winters well?

I hope mine winter well!! :shock:

well-come!
If you want to homestead your may find
that 50 ac. is better then 5 and besides you can have more bees!!!! :lol:

Offline bluewolff

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 12:47:39 am »
Sorry it took so long to reply.
Jerry youre a riot man.

All right its not a winter well. Looked around to see if I could find where I saw it before and the only thing I could come up with is a sump well used to collect honey.  :? guess I ws not thinking strait that day.

Anyways guys thanks for youre replys
Joe