70-79 years old
2 (1.5%)
80-89 years old
0 (0%)
90 or over
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 01, 2009, 06:05:04 pm

Author Topic: Average age of beekeepers here at Beemaster.com  (Read 9360 times)

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
Average age of beekeepers here at Beemaster.com
« on: January 18, 2009, 06:05:04 pm »
I recently read an article regarding the increasing age of beekeepers  I am a high school teacher and I am often encouraging young people to begin keeping bees.  So far I am without a  convert.  I still believe that it is important to encourage young people to get involved with beekeeping for many reasons including the continuing health and vitality of our honeybee population, the incredible educational experience and the importance of the honeybee on our environment.  It would be great to see more experienced beekeepers get involved in their local schools by sharing the joy of beekeeping with young people. Call the science department at your local school and offer your services.   

So how old are you? The results may be interesting.
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Average age of beekeepers here at Beemaster.com
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 06:20:27 pm »
I didn't see the older than dirt choice... :idunno: :evil:  I do plan on visiting schools next year & informal Q & A @ the CSA next summer. My hives will be part of the girls inheritance..hmmm, lets see, so far they are getting 1 book of forever stamps, fishing poles, senile cats, cattle & goat! Lucky girls!  Oh, and ME!  I want to be made into a diamond so I can be with them forever.  Amanda said she will take me to a pawn shop, Chels is selling me on eBay.. :shock:   J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 06:54:12 pm »
I would not be surprised that its something that appeals to be people over 40. I think when you are young you have so much going on, maybe college, getting married, starting families etc. that people don't want to add any more responsibilites, and beekeeping may be a hobby but its still a responsibility, not like say golf or building model airplanes.
I think once people settle into their lives a little they may take on more.
It "can" also be an expensive hobby.
On another note, my son who is only 6 years old has his own beekeeping suit and his own hive and I just ordered him a nuc for this spring.
Obviously he can't take care of it by himself but any time I work it he will be responsible for being right there and helping to understand the decisions and mistakes that we will make and the outcome good or bad. The other kids are interested but not like him.
He hounds me for information and sits next to me every night and asks me to read him the beekeeping books. I quiz him for info and he is pretty good.
He raises his own chickens too and sells the eggs, he can't wait to offer honey to his customers.
His principal at school just bought $20.00 worth of eggs from him.
Sometimes I forget how young he is, he is such a little man.
I am really looking forward to doing this with him.
I plan on doing some presentations at the children's schools this year as well. I think its more important than ever to teach the children how vital the bees are to us.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 06:58:30 pm »
Whip City Bee Man...

Don't give up on the kids I started beekeeping at 9 years old. On or about 04-10-09 I will start 52 years of keeping bees and I will bee 62 years old.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:24:46 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 07:41:27 pm »
Jody, you already are a diamond, you just don't fully realize it, smiling.

Natalie, wow, what a wonderful thing about your Son, he's got it, baby he's got it!!!  Your little Beemaster a'comin' along.  Wonderful.  Have a great and awesome day, attract and keep good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 08:42:50 pm »
Well i am only 16 and started keeping bees and i dont even know why i started i guess its always been somthing that i wanted to do and everyone here has surely helped me through my first year keeping bees.

Thanks everyone

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 08:47:29 pm »
Well i am only 16 and started keeping bees and i dont even know why i started i guess its always been somthing that i wanted to do and everyone here has surely helped me through my first year keeping bees.

Thanks everyone

I'm glad your around Jordan. All these other "old" beekeepers   :brian: are nice, but us youthful people are nicer... :buttkick:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 09:03:33 pm »
Interesting results thus far.  Younger group than I thought it would be.       Now Brian Bray says he looks like his profile picture so he might tip the scales a bit if he responds to the poll   :lau:

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 09:18:45 pm »

Thanks everyone

I'm glad your around Jordan. All these other "old" beekeepers   :brian: are nice, but us youthful people are nicer... :buttkick:

And well carry on the beekeeping way a little longer.

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 09:23:23 pm »
I believe that most people that keep bees that I have known, including myself, were around beekeepers at a young age. I was introduced to beekeeping by both of my grandfathers and was fascinated with them every since. I too have tried to get a few people involved,
but unless they grew up around it they usually have no desire to do so. Both of my sons love helping me with the bees. My oldest son is 8, I let him help me with a cutout this past year. I think he's ready for his first hive this year. With a little help of coarse. :-D

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 09:37:08 pm »
I believe that most people that keep bees that I have known, including myself, were around beekeepers at a young age. I was introduced to beekeeping by both of my grandfathers and was fascinated with them every since. I too have tried to get a few people involved,
but unless they grew up around it they usually have no desire to do so. Both of my sons love helping me with the bees. My oldest son is 8, I let him help me with a cutout this past year. I think he's ready for his first hive this year. With a little help of coarse. :-D

Agreed.  My grandfather and his brother (my great uncle) got me interested.  When my great uncle passed away I took his stuff, cleaned it up and ordered my bees.  There has been a lot of self teaching, reading books, Michael Bush's website and a lot of reading beemaster and I look forward to the year when I can buy my 1 yr. old son his first hive too. 

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 10:47:50 pm »
i'm envious of you, jordan!.. i wish i had started beekeeping at your age.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 11:23:49 pm »
  I've got a sore shoulder from patting myself on the back as i must be the oldest so far.  :lol:
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline paulh

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 11:58:14 pm »
I'm 30-39.  I also have two young daughters (2 1/2 and 4) who like the bees.  They like to watch the bees come and go from the "bee boxes" and have respect for them when they are out foraging.  They really like the honey they make and the berries they pollinate.  I hope to get the older one into the beeyard this summer. 

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 01:57:45 am »
I'm 49 and holding.  I agree on recruiting younger ones to beekeeping.  I am attempting to spur an interest in our 4-H group here.  So far no takers, but this is just my second year as a project leader.  Honestly I have had the adults in the group come to me asking for information, hence I acquired more places to set hives.  I plan to work with an individual this year with a few hives in hopes of getting him started with his own hives later on.  Its kinda exciting when someone wants to learn about something you enjoy. 

David 

Offline Jacmar

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 04:05:33 am »
I'm 72 and have been keeping bees for about the last 25 years, and I have a daughter 40 years old whose also keeps bees. The biggest thing I find is that a lot of the younger folks just have to many other outside interests that keeps them so busy that they haven't time take up a hobby such as bees.

Jack
"The key to life is to Die Young at a very Old Age"

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 12:31:21 pm »
i'm envious of you, jordan!.. i wish i had started beekeeping at your age.

Being a beekeeper in the warm tropical Phillipines.  I don't think I would envy anyone ever. 

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 02:30:21 pm »
There is a few community farms in this area that try and encourage young people to become more agriculturaly aware. I was thinking of offering to do some free classes for the kids as a kind of community service. My biggest concern is dealing with the liabilty issues...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 03:04:08 pm »
While some 80 some year old people are on the internet, I'm sure the percentage is lower than the younger ones.  I wonder how skewed the results are from that?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 04:21:37 pm »
Welcome to the 70's and Over Club Jacmar !!
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.