Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finsky  (Read 3987 times)

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
Finsky
« on: June 21, 2009, 06:17:44 pm »
Does any one know what happened to the member Finsky?  I used to enjoy his perspective and I see he hasn't posted in about 2 years.

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
Re: Finsky
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 07:28:28 pm »

And what about Bjornbee?

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 09:32:37 pm »
If I remember correctly, Finsky was banned.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 09:51:57 pm »
CAREFUL OF THE RUMORS STEVE:

Finsky was NEVER banned, he chose to leave after being pestered repetitively by a group of SMALL CELL ADVOCATES who ganged up on him over and over again. Fighting a battle against half a dozen people in a language which is NOT native to yours must have been frustrating. When he left, we lost a great resource of beekeeping and scientific knowledge - I learned a lot about administration because of his leaving us.

Such ganging up against another member will not happen again, I take great sadness in losing Finsky when what I should have done was intervene and put a stop to bullying. Now, warnings are given, and then trouble-makers go away.

About Bjornebee - He became upset that a post to a video containing the "F-word" was allowed which was posted by Understudy showing NIGHT-OPS, moving bees from one field to another. A message was included that some adult language was in the video, but that wasn't good enough for Bjorn and he no longer choses to tell people about Beemaster Forums, and he ignores any private messages which I send to him. He does occationally post here, but not as he did at one time. He has done nothing that warrents intervention on our parts, he can chose to not answer my messages if he wishes, but if I send him a message related to forum matters and he chooses not to reply, then I suppose how I respond will be different.

It is just that simple, people choose what they want to do and either they stay or leave, post or don't, and unless they mess with the membership all is fine. That should answer your questions correctly.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 10:35:29 pm »
i miss finsky. he was fun.  to bad about bjornebee.  this is a really family friendly place, and to take offense over one post seems a little extreme to me.  especially when one might chose to not watch a video if there was a warning....

oh well, it is not possible to please all. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 11:13:16 pm »
If I remember correctly, Finsky was banned.

Steve

I stand corrected! Proves that my memory is not what it should be. I do remember Finsky left under controversy. I miss him as well.

I did not know about bjornebee. I valued his wisdom and always read his posts. Our loss.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 11:19:29 pm »
Beemaster & everybody,

I feel the need to give my opinion that this site is run extremely well.  The rules are good and the members are helpful and well-intentioned.   The overall tenor is positive.

I have definitely been to sites that I cannot say that about.

Heaflaw

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 11:43:20 pm »
I have gone back and re-read a ton of Finsky's posts...there is a wealth of information there.  His explanations in english were very impressive.  Sorry to have lost him.
-Mike

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 12:11:43 am »
Yep, a shame.  Lots of great experience they shared and certainly helped me.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 12:20:04 am »
Bjorn (Mike) was last active Today at 09:36:54 PM and I saw him posting earlier today as well.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 01:51:15 am »
Totally agree about Finsky and Bjorn - both a wealth of info, from generations apart and climates as different as night and day. Finsky is active on the European forum (not sure of the name - someone please fill it in if you wish) and I know that Bjorn spends lots of time here mostly reading and occationally posting, around 8-10 a month instead of twice that a day.

Do I think it a loss to us? I'm not sure except to say he offered opinions and knowledge which helped many - his latter posts were often found in the Coffee House and some were a bit heated, and we had good dialog in PMing in which I found myself asking him to be a bit less heated. I don't think he enjoys being told to cool his jets and the whole Youtube Video was a lame collection of thoughts where no matter what I did, I could do no right - so I chose not to please him (since you can't always please everyone) it might as well have been him not getting his wish since he was the only one complaning.

First I moved the Night Ops video from General to Coffee House, where (when you join the forum you have to choose an age under or over 13) if you choose UNDER you cannot even see the coffee house forum - it is blocked. That wasn't good enough because kids lie about their age, I was told.

Then I placed warnings about the language content and that was even worse so I was told, it was (in my own words) like leaving a Playboy Magazine out at a boy scout meeting with a sticky on it saying KIDS DON'T LOOK AT THE PICTURES.

So our forum (in his words) would no longer be talked about when he promoted the National Honeybee Awareness Day, nor mentioned EVEN TO ADULTS as a great resource for new and learned beekeepers (again paraphrasing). He even believed his promotion of Beemaster Forums was a major reason we set records nearly every month in 2009, but after he stopped talking to me, we had 3 even larger record growth month, shame he didn't stay social, he could have taken credit for those - so I wonder how much of a loss that really is - he is still there, lurking and occationally posting, nothing really had occurred except his NOT replying to my private messages - which, I figure that is his choice, I think rude RUDE as can be when an admin writes a kind letter asking questions, and you are online nearly every day and choose to not answer a single one, but not a crime here. Most forums I'll promise he would have been out the door long ago. But we have rules and none had been broken by him. That is why he is still here, if he chooses to read and not write is his choice of course, but I think it is hypocritical if family values means so much to him, but that is only my opinion.

So as strange as it may seem, I miss seeing Bjorn posting several times a day. He generally behaved well here and brought much discussion to the forums. Sadly though, he has issues with either me or the way we operate the forum and choose to be silent except in some random posts throughtout the forum. I have nothing against this man, he obviously does me, because if it were the forum - I assume he wouldn't post at all and if he just became a lurker then he is of no use to any of us. I assume as a member he has a strong PM database and is in contact with many members here. If he became a lurker only, he would quickly lose that priviledge - we cannot be anyones underground railroad, where many commercial beekepers I know make money, via private messaging. Surely we will not be used like that, and he would disappear just as sales did on the trading post. It is only fair, we are no one's store front and I'm merely suggesting this as a possibility, but if posting were to stop, then this member would go away very quickly - I think concidaring all, we have been more than fair. This is the kind of stuff that passes our screens as Mods, thankfully rarely and honestly I have never had a member who would not talk to me before, ever. I wonder what any of you would do if it were your forum?

I won't expand any further but to say hundreds of posts come to the moderators in any year and we weigh the content and its relevance to the members. Not always is it a perfect video clip from youtube, and how many articles from news papers concern the horrors of war in great and grusome detail. It all goes back to "does the information serve a greater good to the membership than it does harm". Should I or any moderator here be doing the work of parents, who should be watching where and what their kids are doing on the Internet.

As young Buzzbeejr (now 14 and starting in the Fall junior high) I hear worse language on the bus every day to and from school that I would ever be exposed to on the forums and he has been a member for almost 3 years.

We have few children as members and those we have here have active parents here too. I expect the parents to make the final call on what their kids should see and read, not me or the staff here and especially no Bjornbee who has been a wonderful member here, no one dragged his past into this forum and I really doubt the video with the F-word barely discernable in it was the true issue of his complaint, if it was the start of our emails back and forth, and when he found I would not take down the link - and if being told NO was the reason he refused to write to me again, then he is shallow minded- but I don't believe that about him, so I'm still confused on his reasoning and thinking.

Finsky taught me a vital lesson, agree to disagree began when we lost him to the small cellers who ganged up on him like pack wolves on a crippled fawn. Seeing Finsky fight his battles on at least 6 fronts was as sad as viewing a video of a handful of thugs kicking a homelsss man to a pulp.

I grew as a moderator during that time and frankly many decisions since have used the Finsky Scenario as a template. Arguing a topic is okay, arguing a person is not - ask SGTMAJ about that. He said he didn't care WHO he offended and that was all I needed to see before letting him go. So having a member with 1200 or so posts has no more priviledges than someone new in the door - he learned that after being given a second chance from a warning long before the postings of recent months, which were just foolish statements and lame attacks on other members.

NOTE: every case is different, some people just leave cause they move on, others ask to be removed and we allow that (we do not ban a member who has done nothing wrong - but we unlock their button allowing them to delete their membership) others see the writing on the wall and raise a stink on the way out, and some choose to go out with one big bang. There are a few other ways to find the forum door hitting you on the butt, all you need to do is read the rules in the first forum to learn the fastest ways to get banned.

Others are like an infection, always lurking in the background and you just can find the right antibiotic to get rid of them. Then there are the THOUSANDS of members who play the game by the simple rule book, and it is all those people who make the hard work caused by the other fraction of a percent well worth dealing with.

And as far as any forum I have belonged to, or seen - our staff has an easy job and all staffers have the ability to ban a problem member on the spot, no questions asked. But with such power, they express in detail the whys and how-comes of such action to the rest of the staff and without fail we all see and agree on the reasoning of the decision. That is why we need no larger of a team or a difference in staffers - they are the eyes and ears of all members, but EVERY MEMBER can complain with the "report to moderator" link in every post of the forum - giving YOU the power to spot trouble early on and help us keep this a FAMILY PLACE no matter what some people think!

That is the last I'll write on this post. I needed to vent a little because rumors travel faster than the speed of light - facts can never keep up with rumors or incorrect statements, so when clearing things up - the truth often needs a bit more content to separate the fact from the fiction. I hope I have done that tonight.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 02:29:27 am by beemaster »

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline bakerboy

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 10:43:43 am »
 I miss Bjorn's posts both here and at another forum I frequent as well.

He vanished from the other forum a few months back, I can't say how or why. Sometimes a thread of posts can be made entirely incomprehensible with people editing their posts after they have been responded to, or deleting their posts after they have been responded to. It can make anyone look like an over-reacting mad man .

That being said I have been pretty surprised to find a place on the internet which is not a viper infested filth pit. It's a pretty short list, unfortunately.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 11:06:40 am »

That being said I have been pretty surprised to find a place on the internet which is not a viper infested filth pit. It's a pretty short list, unfortunately.

I think that was a compliment? If so, thank you :)

To let you and everyone know that our software protects posts from being removed by the author after an ample period of time. The actual time isn't hard to figure out, but protecting the posts in the forum is the main purpose of this feature.

This is so that someone leaving, especially after a long time can not delete all their posts (imagine thousands of posts, both replies and new topics disappearing suddenly), nor can they change the content of what was written once the countdown clock has been reached for any given post. It is a very good safety measure used to prevent content theft from the forum, preventing continueity issues in posts, or changing the content to appear as if something said never happened.

That said, we do our best to preserve history in the forum. Of course some posts are just to rude to dignify by allowing them to stay and they are moved to a special place moderators have access to at any time.

What we try to do is let everyone express themselves in a friendly and sincere way. Agreeing to disagree is the policy we stand on as a way to prevent arguments - ideally argue your views on issues, not debate the flaws of other member's thinkings. Keeping a topic neutral this way allows for greater discussion and no hurt feelings - sadly some people get too carried away with topics they are passionate about and they start lashing out rather than expressing their own ideas. Nothing gets a member in more trouble than calling another member STUPID or similar words here. There are plenty of forums where you can do that, we are not one of them.

I've said these exact words many times, but when a new member comes along, except for the rules, I try to establish some dialog with them on forum etiquette, let them know we are serious and although exceptions do exist since there are so many variables we weigh any problem separately.

Enjoy the forum, I too miss Bjorn - but no one stops him from talking but himself. If he is standing on some moral soapbox, I think it a shame that FEW PEOPLE know anything about it.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 11:22:50 am »
John, phew, that was a whole lotta words, smiling, you ramble, as do I.  Ramblin' is good for the tummy and soul, hee, hee.  I don't have much comment here, except, I love to listen to your words.

Finsky was a very valuable member here, absolutely and 100% agreed, I do miss him too.  I recall many conversations between him, others and myself.  The reason he left our forum, for good, yep, yep, was that he got plain and simply fed up with people basically not listening to his many, many years of some very sound beekeeping practices -- with success, I might add -- his use of oxalic acid/formic acid treatments was one of his big bugaboos too, along with the small cell issue.  I learned some very valuable lessons from Finsky, that I recall clearly and still practice to this day, the treatment of mites.  I haven't lost any colonies to mites, since my year of losing several because of a lack of knowledge about mite treatments.  I still treat with oxalic acid, no ifs, ands or buts.  I don't have time to wait for the bees to evolve to live with the mites.  Beautiful days, to love and live, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything