Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: TBH Window  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
TBH Window
« on: September 26, 2009, 06:16:50 pm »
Hi again, i am considering a window in TPH , how Quickly and Dirty does it get? I being new want to watch and photo thru
clear glass. I want Not to open often just to peek - thence the window.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: TBH Window
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 10:25:30 pm »
It is very helpful and educational to get to watch.  By all means, if you want one, put one in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beedad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 01:27:32 pm »
i putwindows in a few of my tbh and it is nice to watch the bees work without disturbing them to much.  i havent had a problem with the window getting dirty but i have had a problem with ants moving in between the glass and the window.  lately it was carpenter ants and they are quite a nuisance but not a real problem. 

bigbearomaha

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:40:52 pm »
  I have similarly thought of a design for a small observation TBH that would be maybe 18 inches long and one of the two sides would be a piece of plexiglass entirely.

I figured on running a 1/8 groove about 3/8 to 1/4" inside the edge of the sides of the bottom and end pieces, allowing the 1/8" plexiglass to slide down snugly.  This leaves the side at it's original specs and I might attach a board the same size as the opposite side using hinges at the bottom and a couple clasps on the ends to keep it tight.  This (I think) would keep it nice and dark most of the time, and the airspace between plexiglass and wood would be a decent insulated area.  The top would be tight fitting over each side and also clasp down to the ends, leaving the only opening the entrance to the tube or conduit via a window, etc...  This could be covered with a piece of screen etc.. when one takes it to a demonstration or something.

I will be making one like this over this winter.  perhaps I'll post a picture of it and see what you think.

Big Bear

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 04:59:25 pm »
I really like the viewing windows in my TBH's.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 05:04:14 pm »
Gary, did you make that window?  Might I ask how you installed it? is it just glued/screwed to the inside of the sidewall or did you make a subset so it would be flush with the sidewall?

Big Bear

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 05:13:03 pm »
It is a 12"x14" piece glued onto the inside of the hive.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 05:15:48 pm »
Thank you.  That gives me an idea. Does moisture/swelling affect how well the cover closes?

Big Bear

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 05:41:00 pm »
Gap around the door is one circular saw blade width all around. With just a slight bit of sanding door sticks just a little bit. If you look closely at the pic you'll see a "frame" of electrical tape on the edges of the viewing window to block out light that would otherwise leak through the gaps when the door is closed. :bee:

bigbearomaha

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 05:49:49 pm »
good idea. simple.  I like simple. keeps inline with the whole TBH thinking.  I've seen some of the more elaborate designs for a window thinking "this goes a bit more than the simplicity one associates with a TBH.  Then again,  I guess having an observation window on a TBH in itself is a bit more to begin with.

Big Bear

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 03:04:02 pm »
Good advice, thanks all . Gary that's just the thing I had in mind.
Also considering double paned window in an insulated hive.
Aid to cold weather hive inspecting.
? Anyone done it yet?

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 12:29:57 am »
I've had my windows since May. They are still quite clear. There are attachments, of course, but the window cover keeps the outside clean and the bees must be keeping the inside clean, or least not dirty. Have fun!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson