Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rain Barrels  (Read 16809 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Rain Barrels
« on: June 18, 2009, 09:08:35 pm »
I was looking through Better Homes and Garden and saw a add for rain barrels, http://www.rainbarrelsource.com/. I noticed they are basically just 55 gallon drums with spickets. It does not look too hard to make your own  :-\. Does anyone have any these? Does anyone catch their rain water? I should also say it is illegal to collect any rain water in Colorado  :shock:. Shocker? I thought so.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Rain Barrels
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 09:29:25 pm »
The only down side to it is a mosquito factory. You need to have a way to store it so they cannot breed, which they will do in any standing water. I have been giving it some thought and I think any type of circulater to keep the water stirred up should do the trick.

I have an old 14 ft boat and could make a little water fall in it, raise a few bream/sunfish.
Water the garden with fertile water. :roll: :)doak

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 09:44:23 pm »
Well here is Colorado I have a nice 400 gallon "pond" with fish and plants the bees LOVE the frogs bite to sit on and catch a drink.....  A little punp and a hose fell into the pond and oops it reaches to the garden...... :evil: 8-) :-D
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:18:41 pm »
The site I posted to say you had to screen off for mosquitos. They say if you get an inch of rain a 1000 square foot roof will give you 663 gallons of water.  :shock:, dont quote me on the amount but I know it was in the 600s. If caught I guess I would have to say I was rolling the barrel. got tired and that is where it ended up. Darn kids must have attached the hose  :-P

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 01:31:50 am »
The site I posted to say you had to screen off for mosquitos. They say if you get an inch of rain a 1000 square foot roof will give you 663 gallons of water.  :shock:, dont quote me on the amount but I know it was in the 600s. If caught I guess I would have to say I was rolling the barrel. got tired and that is where it ended up. Darn kids must have attached the hose  :-P

I love it!!!!
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:41:00 am »
illegal to store rainwater?
did coors sponsor that law? or arizona/ new mexico?
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 09:12:25 am »

Its an old 1800's law that states that ....if we in the city capture rain water that it suffers the farmers down stream...... it has since been proven that that amount of rain water would evaporate before it ever got there but you know Gov. ..................... And I think that the state sells to everybody down to the pacific and the Mississippi river so we would be stealing state revenue??  I know I know...................  We are in the process of changing that..
Here in Denver not only is it illeagle to capture water but the water company takes the sq ft of your roof and driveway and charge you a processing fee for the rain water run off???? :?  And then sell it back to you isn't that a double whammy?  Thats too much fun right there.....

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 10:09:46 am »
I have rain barrels, its amazing how fast they will fill even during a light rain.
I got mine through my town's public works dept.
They sponsored a program where you could get the barrels at a discount, the town subsidized them, otherwise some of those rain barrels you can buy are expensive.
They also had the connectors so you could link all the barrels together.
If you can get the barrels for free I guess its easy enough to make your own if you get the hose, spigots and screens etc.
As for the mosquitos, the barrels that I have are sealed tight and screened around the hose opening so there isn't a problem but you can use a larvicide brick in the water that prevents mosquito from becoming mature so they cannot reproduce.
You can also keep goldfish in your barrel, they eat the eggs and the waste water from the fish is good for the plants.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 10:25:19 am »
I made 3 rain barrels a few years ago from 55 gallon plastic drums.  The drums just had 2 holes with screw in plugs on the top.  I paid $10 for each from someone I found on craigs list.

Then I added a spicket at the bottom of each.  I used some sealant to help seal.  None have leaked.  Must have the right size hole though, so do some testing with scrap.  The scrap I used for testing was from a hole I cut in the top of one of them to accept a pool filter like the link below.  I got one at home depot for about $10.   I lined this plastic filter with some screen to keep the mosquitos and other small debri out.  The drain spout from the roof is directed into this filter.
http://www.saveonpoolsupplies.com/Pool-Equipment/Pool-Pump-and-Pool-Filter-Accessories/Filter-Savers/

Then I joined 2 of the barrels at the bottom with some flexable PVC pipe so they would fill at the same time.  This gives me 110 gallons of storage.  The 3rd barrel I used as a water/nutrient resevoir for my hydroponics system.  

For what I do.... I use the 110 gallons of water from the 2 barrels primarily to supply water to my other barrel for the hydroponic system.  I use a inexpensive pump to suck out the water from the 2 barrels to the 3rd barrel.  

I have not had a problem with mosquitos because the barrel is fairly protected from them getting in.  I do get some algae growth though.  I guess that a little bleach would solve that but I have not done that yet.

I do get tree frogs in my 3rd barrel though since it had a overflow hole that they can easliy get into near the top.

I would estimate that my total cost for all PVC, filter, spickets, barrels is about $50.  That is quite a value compared to what most sell for.  It is harder to get the barrels today though for so cheap as it seems that having rain barrels is getting more popular.  

Depending on what you use the water for, keep in mind that the rain water PH is quite different when compared to the PH of tap/hose water.  This may or may not impact you but for me it does as I have to have the PH correct for the hydroponic system.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 10:39:52 am »
I just looked at the prices of the rain barrels at http://www.rainbarrelsource.com/.   Oh my!!  I guess if looks is really important but you can paint a plastic barrel. 

Keep in mind how much water costs and the cost of the rain barrels.  I believe it is smart and obviously I do it, but don't be fooled into thinking you will recoop the cost of the barrel in a reasonalble amount of time.

In my area, it cost $2.90 cents per 1,000 gallons.  That is just under 13 cents per 55 gallons.  Therefore, it would take almost 800 fillings of the barrel by rain to recoop the cost of a $100 barrel.

My situation is a little different because using rain water saves me quite a bit on acid to adjust the PH for my growing system.  The PH of the rain water is close to what I need it to be and it takes about 1/4th of the acid to make the adjustment as the tap water does.  The rain water is much more sensitive to the acid I use to adjust. 

Additionally, I believe the plants grow better with rain water vs tap water. 

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 11:37:52 am »

Its an old 1800's law that states that ....if we in the city capture rain water that it suffers the farmers down stream...... it has since been proven that that amount of rain water would evaporate before it ever got there but you know Gov. ....
especially out west. I remember being amazed whenever I went out west I would get out of the shower and I would actually continue getting drier. getting drier in Florida is when you sit directly under the ac vent and stay there.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 11:40:27 am »
getting drier in Florida is when you sit directly under the ac vent and stay there.

Yes, and for a long time.  :)  I love FL though.  I will take the heat and humidity any day over the cold.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 06:00:03 pm »

Its an old 1800's law that states that ....if we in the city capture rain water that it suffers the farmers down stream...... it has since been proven that that amount of rain water would evaporate before it ever got there but you know Gov. ....
especially out west. I remember being amazed whenever I went out west I would get out of the shower and I would actually continue getting drier. getting drier in Florida is when you sit directly under the ac vent and stay there.

I love Flordia trying to get the wife to move well............................... thats another story :-D

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 06:55:34 pm »
you may wish to come to hell Florida in say, July before you do anything rash.
(I love it here too, but it definitely takes some getting used to.)

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 04:37:54 pm »
I lived there when I was younger I would set my watch to 2 o clock with the rain.... it was in orlando and my great grandmother lived in tampa on the canal.... we would take the boat and watch the manatees...... such great memories.......

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 12:18:42 am »
I use rain water from barrels as an additional source of water for the stock when the creek dries up in the summer (it is now dry with  cracking mud).  It is possible to hook up several of these in series using hose and plumbing them together near the top so that the full one overflows into the next one and so on.  A way to control the sketers and algae is to put in some feeder gold fish from the pet store.   When they get too big, it's fish fry time.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 12:30:33 pm »

Its an old 1800's law that states that ....if we in the city capture rain water that it suffers the farmers down stream...... it has since been proven that that amount of rain water would evaporate before it ever got there but you know Gov. ..................... And I think that the state sells to everybody down to the pacific and the Mississippi river so we would be stealing state revenue??  I know I know...................  We are in the process of changing that..
Here in Denver not only is it illeagle to capture water but the water company takes the sq ft of your roof and driveway and charge you a processing fee for the rain water run off???? :?  And then sell it back to you isn't that a double whammy?  Thats too much fun right there.....

Yes, we are slaves to the governments federal, state, and local. Of course, I really feel sorry for you younger folks, as I am 76 years old, I know what it is like to have lived in a free country, too bad ya'all will never know what it is like, to be, and live free.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 06:16:54 pm »
I guess you're only a slave if you choose to obey, but then there are consequences where there weren't before.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 06:40:55 pm »
I guess you're only a slave if you choose to obey, but then there are consequences where there weren't before.

Don,t understand ????

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009, 07:57:47 pm »
I know a gentleman that has two large (1000 -1500 gal each) under ground cisterns. He catches all the rain water from his roof. His lawn sprinkler system pumps from these reservoirs. He always has a beautiful lawn, flowers, and garden.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 09:23:23 pm »

Don,t understand ????
I think it was Henry David Thoreau, he lived in the 1800s and was a big hero to the hippie crowd ( the Walden pond essays), but he had some good points. He said - in a nutshell - that you don't have to obey an unjust law I think he even said you are obligated to disobey an unjust law. (but there are still consequences; like an unjust law will still be enforced and some kind of punishment dealt out.)

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 10:06:48 pm »

Don,t understand ????
I think it was Henry David Thoreau, he lived in the 1800s and was a big hero to the hippie crowd ( the Walden pond essays), but he had some good points. He said - in a nutshell - that you don't have to obey an unjust law I think he even said you are obligated to disobey an unjust law. (but there are still consequences; like an unjust law will still be enforced and some kind of punishment dealt out.)
In this day and age we have many, many unjust laws, but I am not fool enough to ignore them, but I definently disagree with them.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 12:31:27 am »
One of the things Judges never tell a jury is that they can find the law under which someone is being prosecuted illogical and unenforcable, or unconstitutional.
When this country was founded juries could declare a law void and the culpret innocent, it was meant to be a balance against unjust or ill-conceived legislation.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline giant pumpkin peep

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 11:26:20 pm »
I have a 350 gallon tank for my patch. I bought it from another grower. you might to check, but I beleive its illeagal to collect rain water in colorado. A  lot of growers there have said that. Or you could just hide you tank.  :devilbanana: Find farmers, and I think my tank was once used for mulch die. my dad who is a chemical engineer says the mulch die is harmless. Don't waste your money on the 50 gallon tanks that cost way too much. I think I paid 80 bucks for my tank. Might want to check craigslist. I have found 50 gallon rain barrels for 10-20 dollers. you could get 5 or so and daisy chain them together. Hope I helped
I like pumpkins!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 11:09:17 am »
The area where we will make an eventual move to is quite dry.  People collect rainwater.  I don't think it is illegal. 

A couple of years ago, when I had huge aspirations of becoming a beeekeeper that would get hundreds upon thousands (well, maybe exaggerating a little here) I purchased a huge stainless steel honey tank, with of course a 2" honeygate.  I was going to fill that honey tank, but just never got around to doing it, hee, hee.  It will accompany us on our move and will be a holder of great amounts of water.  I wish that I knew how many gallons it holds -- it is a pretty big tank.  I would imagine that there is some mathematical equation like measuring depth circumference and then multiplying something with something that would give the volume.  Maybe one day I will entertain that work and figure it out.  I would have to write it somewhere so I don't forget and have to do that work again.  Oh, maybe just a piece of tape on the outside of the tank with the information -- oh I am so smart, hee, hee, I think of such cool things, hee, hee.  Silly me.  Have that great, most wonderful day, to love and live our beautiful lives, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 11:43:46 am »
The area where we will make an eventual move to is quite dry.  People collect rainwater.  I don't think it is illegal. 

a couple of years ago, when I had huge aspirations of becoming a beeekeeper that would get hundreds upon thousands (well, maybe exaggerating a little here) I purchased a huge stainless steel honey tank, with of course a 2" honeygate.  I was going to fill that honey tank, but just never got around to doing it, hee, hee.  It will accompany us on our move and will be a holder of great amounts of water.  I wish that I knew how many gallons it holds -- it is a pretty big tank.  I would imagine that there is some mathematical equation like measuring depth circumference and then multiplying something with something that would give the volume.  Maybe one day I will entertain that work and figure it out.  I would have to write it somewhere so I don't forget and have to do that work again.  Oh, maybe just a piece of tape on the outside of the tank with the information -- oh I am so smart, hee, hee, I think of such cool things, hee, hee.  Silly me.  Have that great, most wonderful day, to love and live our beautiful lives, great health.  Cindi

To get your quantity in gallons , multiply 3.14 times the radius squared, times the height, to get your cubic feet (using feet, or fractions of feet for radius, and height) then divide your cubic feet by 7.5 to get your capacity in gallons.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 11:58:15 am »
i have been reading this thread and thought i'd check craigs list just for fun.  not only are there tons of barrels and buckets, but there are suggestions on how to collect rain water.

apparently the SR of O has a rebate for disconnecting your downspouts and collecting rain water.  i am guessing it's because they forced thousands to hook up to an already inadequate sewer system. when it rains, raw sewage dumps into the Columbia river and they were getting fined every time it happened.  i hear the fines are now being waved....

anyway...looks like craigs list is a good source.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 10:41:39 am »
Lakeman, thank you for the information, now I have an agenda, yay!!  Have that most beautiful and awesome day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything