Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Foundationless Frames mixed with pasticell...  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Foundationless Frames mixed with pasticell...
« on: June 18, 2005, 06:55:51 pm »
I was too big of an IDIOT to realize that grooved and wedge top frames were completely different when I bought them.  I needed wedge buy I bought grooved and connot cut a groove without destroying the frame.  I had an idea just a few minutes ago and I want to run it by some experienced beekeepers here.  I had a idea that when I put on my honey super I'll put 2 foundationless frames in there so I'll be able to produce a little chunk comb honey.  Maybe more, maybe less I just need imput on how well you think this would work.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 08:17:58 pm »
>I was too big of an IDIOT to realize that grooved and wedge top frames were completely different when I bought them.

Yes they are.

>I needed wedge buy I bought grooved and connot cut a groove without destroying the frame.

What are you putting in the frame?  I buy nothing but grooved.  If I want to put plastic in it just snaps in.  If I want to put wax in, I use a wax tube fastener and wax it in.  I don't like wedges.  Wedges take longer to nail than waxing does.  Wedges don't stay in if you nail them in a second time.

>I had an idea just a few minutes ago and I want to run it by some experienced beekeepers here. I had a idea that when I put on my honey super I'll put 2 foundationless frames in there so I'll be able to produce a little chunk comb honey.

What are you calling a foundationless frame?  A frame with no foundation in it?  You can put one between two nicely drawn combs and it will work fine.  If you put a starter strip in it will work fine.  If you put a angled guide on it it will work fine.  If you put two frames with no foundation in next to each other with no comb guide, there is no telling what the bees will do.

Also foundationless REQUIRES a level hive.  Otherwise the comb may start on the top bar of one frame and end on the bottom bar of the frame next to it.  :)

>Maybe more, maybe less I just need imput on how well you think this would work.

It depends on how you do it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 11:34:03 am »
I have a few ounces of beeswax so I guess I could make a few starter strips.  Thanks for the thourough reply.