Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I hate Dell  (Read 5031 times)

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
I hate Dell
« on: November 26, 2008, 03:43:52 pm »
I work for Boeing and all their computers are dell, in 15 yrs I have never had an issue with any computer I have used at work.
The same cannot be said for the ones I buy for home use. I have had many issues but the one that really makes my blood boil is my kids laptops, I purchased two basic laptops last december for the girls, they appeared to work fine for about a month. My eldest kids keeps getting battery errors, wrong battery, battery will not charge etc, still works just fine when plugged in. Now she cannot get into the web browser as she gets a NULL error. Not too worried there, less internet is actually a good thing.
My other kids computer completely died after four months, I just got around to sending it back and Dell is telling me that it needs a new mother board, which they also tell me is not covered under the limited warrenty and if I want them to fix it, will cost $498 +tax, the thing new was less than 600, I am done with dell, that fact that the mother board is not covered is for me the last straw, they will not get another penny from me.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Re: I hate Dell
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 04:33:01 pm »
I learned about Dell the hard way.  My Daughter used to work tech support on a subcontract to Dell.  She talked me into buying one of their Laptops.  The first was DOA, the second had a bad display, the third the motherboard cracked in less than six months.  Never again will I purchase a Dell product.  AOpen custom built computers or HP for box systems for me.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 05:00:46 pm »
I found the thing to do with dells is when you get it erase everything off of the hard drive and do a complete reinstall of the drivers needed and nothing else.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 07:46:55 pm »
My partner at work, Lee, Just got a Dell Laptop...It lasted 18 days...he took it back Monday and they gave him a brand new one yesterday..Of course, Lee got all the insurance and that stuff, but for 2200$ The dell people should have showed up personally to trade it out! And all lee does is look at the news.......I suppose he does other things when he gets home....But thats a subject we wont bring up in here!

your friend,
john

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 09:23:11 am »
I got a home PC from dell and as soon as warranty ran out so did the computer only a 280$ fix :-x
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 12:18:29 pm »
My recommendations, build your own. Its cheaper and will be a lot better and faster.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 06:33:12 pm »
Well, building your own laptop is kinda tough  ;)

I've read in some techie newsletter I get that you should avoid consumer level Dell products.  Stick to those geared to business, they're supposedly more reliable.  I own a Toshiba laptop (we won it at Greg's Christmas party two years ago) and it's been fine.  Other people I know are very happy with their HP's. 

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 08:48:09 pm »
I thought about getting a laptop, but after trying lees out, My hand was numb after about five minutes..........(No, it was from moving my fingers on the tiny cursor window!)
 And, also, I figured that if i did all my bee forum while I was at work, i wouldnt have anything to do when i got home!

your friend,
john

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 09:18:31 pm »
Dell years back use to be good. Then they just hit the skids. I have stuck with two types of laptops IBM and Macs. You can pick up a decent ibook for around $400 or a thinkpad for a little more. I beat my laptops pretty hard. I can't that IBM is wonderful but there are enough outside sources that I am able to deal with most of my issues through 3rd party. The ibook is mainly used by my wife. She is pretty easy on her computers and I can take them apart. So I can deal with most of the issues that come up with hers. I need to replace her dvd drive. but I haven't made a priority of it yet.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 09:51:45 pm »
That's what I am using now. A new Dell. So is this what I have to look forward to???

Any good things to say about it???

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 10:06:57 pm »
To be a naysayer in the group, I love Dells - I've had lots of Dells over the years and nary a problem except with a recent laptop I bought that came with Vista - and that problem is because of Vista - not Dell.  (I HATE Vista - freezes up all the time - horrible program) 

I did have one laptop that didn't work like it was supposed to and Dell replaced it immediately with an even better laptop (nicer screen, more features) than the one it was replacing.

As a stock, it hasn't been so great but as a product, I'm happy.  I just bought one of their Minis - came with XP (they wised up!) perfect for watching movies as I did on my the train during my recent travel to Virginia for Thanksgiving and for email while traveling.  It fits in my purse and was a great travel computer.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 10:15:15 pm »
Yes, I have XP and not Vista so perhaps things shall be ok for me. I did see those little mini laptops at Costco recently,but they had Vista on them. I am going to check them out.

Thanks
Annette

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 01:20:21 pm »
Funny, I just got a dell from a friend to fix. For some reason his hard drive crashed and he can not get any of the drivers to reinstall. I turned it on and the display is not working. Any thoughts?

anything