Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 for one cutout. Bee Vac test drive.  (Read 2207 times)

Offline howardaj31

• New Bee
2 for one cutout. Bee Vac test drive.
« on: May 11, 2012, 09:44:29 am »
Went to cutout a hive I've known about at an abandoned house yesterday.  Found 2 separate colonies in the same section of wall.  One high and one at the bottom.  When I first found this spot, the colony was up in the top of the wall.  A few sections of old comb had fallen to the bottom, but no bees.  When I went to see about  getting it done day before yesterday, a new colony had built on top of that old comb with an obviously very active queen.  I put them in a nuc and went to work on the top colony.  That one was much larger.  I test drove my robo-type vac and LOVE it.  It made for a very easy job.  I evidently sucked the queen up because the bees all began piling up on the exhaust port.  At that point, I hived all of the brood I could (10 frames), set the vac box on top of the brood box and called it a wrap.  Both colonies done in less than 2 hours.  I will bee building a cutout shim asap!  All in all it was a great job!

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
Re: 2 for one cutout. Bee Vac test drive.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 10:58:08 am »
>>> I will bee building a cutout shim asap!

Build yourself a couple extra, they are very handy to have in combination with an extra vacuum top and bottom. When weather conditions are not the best, or you have a large job that maybe take 2 days, it allows you to re-unite the bees with the brood multiple times during a cutout.

Good job,

Don

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 09:35:59 pm »
cmon dude.. its the 2000 tens.. no pics? im very disappointed..  :rulez:

Offline howardaj31

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 02:12:48 am »
Ha Duck, I realized yesterday on my way home, I failed to take any pictures.  I was working alone and concerned with having everything in its place, but forgot to take any pics.  Party foul on me!  8-)