Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive finder  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Jim

• Brood
hive finder
« on: April 18, 2006, 05:44:25 pm »
A beekeeper from Mexico recently told me about a small device used to find ferel hives.  
The device has three chambers,  basically you capture bees in the bottom chamber , feed them in the middle chamber then release them one at a time from the top chamber.  Since the bees are full they head straight for the hive, and you follow them.  When you loose one bee you release another from the chamber, he said that it generally takes 3-5 bees to find a hive.

What is this device called?  Are there plans around to make one?

Thanks,
Jim

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
hive finder
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 11:04:53 am »
Another good book is Hunting wild bees : how to track bees, harvest honey and beeswax, and domesticate swarms by Robert E. Donovan.  It has any easy to build bee lining box, with detailed direction and tips.  Check to see if a library near you has it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
hive finder
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 04:06:02 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything