Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: laying ducks  (Read 6433 times)

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
laying ducks
« on: July 15, 2007, 08:06:35 am »
We started with 17, but shipping was really hard on them even though they only came from one state away. Living in the city; I don't think our local postal workers are used to handling chicks so we ended up loosing 6 of them in shipping.
They are Khaki Campbells and from what I have read should out lay a good laying hen. We picked ducks because of our city ordinace against animal noise. I figured it would be easier to keep a low profile with ducks.

Sugarbush Bees

Offline zopi

• House Bee
Re: laying ducks
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 10:32:28 am »
AWW!   they look like fun.....i've got chickvision going downstairs....the current big entertainment hit is watching the chicks run across the brooder and crash into another chick...causing that chick to run across the brooder....

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 11:58:16 pm »
You've got a bummer in there.  That yellow duckling is no Khaki Campbell.  all the young Khaki's I've seen were all the olive drab color.  Grown the drakes have greenish heads and the hens all khaki. 

It might be a cross breed.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:27:48 am »
yeah.....that was my first thought and I hope she is a mix.....it will be interesting to see what she is. We talked with the hatchery and they say she is khaki, that they get a few of lighter color. My wife named her Sweet Pea.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 11:30:29 am »
bluegrass, that are some really cute little pictures you've got going on there.

We have the black Indian Runners hatching out yesterday, I will get some pictures pretty soon.  We have more little ducks that should be hatching in a couple of days too, gotta love the babies.  We also have some Muscovey ducklings that are about a week old too, and more coming on.  Yeah!!!!!  Good for all those little ducklings that make us go "ah, so cute".  Have a wonderful day, great life, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 08:35:07 pm »
I'd like to get a couple ducks or chickens after checking with my borough to ensure it's permitted, but I'm having a hard time convincing my wife. We don't use a lot of eggs, but I was looking for these birds as a pest control method, and maybe a source of eggs for sale (even if to neighbors, we're in the suburbs with not much land). I was wondering about this lawn bit, do they really tear up the lawn? That would probably be a prohibitive factor. I figured 4 or 5 birds, in a 15X40 area.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Beemistress

• New Bee
    • My dog/chicken/bee etc. blog
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 05:35:53 pm »
Khaki Campbells are good little laying ducks, very quiet hens too.  Don't try making an angel food cake with duck egg whites though - it does not work.

Sometimes I make salted duck eggs with mine, an Asian recipe where you just put the eggs (in their shells) in very salty water for a month.

I don't think ducks ruin lawns unless the grass is flooded and they dig in the mud.  I let mine in the garden and they sure take care of the bugs for me.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 09:21:50 pm »
yea but when they get this age

grosssss Especially when they stretch their wings!
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 10:11:20 am »
Cody, so cute, lovely picture.  Have a wonderful day, best of life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 10:18:00 am »

They are sure growing fast. We still have 11 that made it so I think we are in the safe now. I backed their brood lamp off some and the mobile duck hut should be done within a few days. I would post pics of my progress on it, but you cant see much around all the junk in my shop :-P Still not sure about that light color one "Sweat Pea",  am thinking maybe she is a runner mix. We do have one that I call gimp because he walks sidways all the time due to a useless foot. Not sure what happend there but one foot is always closed and he walks on the side of it.....he seems happy and get around fine so hopefully he will live a good long life. 
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 10:48:36 am »
Bluegrass.  Cool.  I took some pictures of the Roan and Indian Runner babies the other day, I just have to download to my computer and I'll show what mine look like.  Too bad the little duckies don't stay little duckies for very long, then they turn into ugly ducklings!!!!  :-D  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 11:55:10 pm »
This is cool.  I was looking into getting a half dozen Khaki Campbells last year but the wife nixed that idea (we live on a farm for crying out loud and bees are ok?!?!)  Anyway, I was hoping some of you might post some pictures of your older ducks and perhaps your duck environment such as where they swim (particularly artificial areas like pools), what kind of work is involved, etc.  I read a bit but I'd like some other opinions.  Oh...I also read that they like to root around and tear up the ground.  That true?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 09:41:18 pm »
Mine roam the yard by day and I lock them in at night.....they don't dig the yard up any, but they do like to eat everything that is eddible. I have been informed that my light colored duck is a khaki campbell with welsh harliquin gene.
The duck tractor

The ducks 10 weeks old
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:11:17 am by bluegrass »
Sugarbush Bees

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 09:56:29 am »
That's a neat set up.  Is it a pain in the butt to herd them back in?  I have a Border Collie.  Maybe she would help.   :)  How would they do in the winter?  Any special provisions?  I like the coup.  Did you make that?  Maybe I can try and talk the Mrs. into them again.  I would really like some quackers.   :-P
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 11:52:20 pm »
A good duck tractor should have wheels and be moved every day or two so that the ducks have new grass to munch on, otherwise they'll tear the grass out by the roots if left in 1 place too long. 
That is a very nice looking duck tractor but if I had it I'd put a hitch on the back of the hutch so I could tow it with the lawn tractor (my wheelchair doesn't have enough power). 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 09:47:33 am »
bluegrass.  YOu got some nice picures going on there, I like the metal cage!!!  Have a wonderful day, greatest of this life.  Cindi

anything