Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anybody ever get stung on the nose?  (Read 8158 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Anybody ever get stung on the nose?
« on: September 14, 2010, 07:34:29 pm »
I was standing near my yesterday afternoon and i got tagged right on the end of the nose! you should see my face this morning! WOW!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Anybody ever get stung on the nose?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:40:04 pm »
Dennis2021 got tagged in the nose just last week....I'll let him tell about it :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:49:52 pm »
Dennis2021 got tagged in the nose just last week....I'll let him tell about it :-D

Scott

Tell ya what! it's a nasty place to get stung! all around my eyes are swollen almost to the point of my eyes being closed...

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 07:50:20 pm »
I pulled and extracted a couple supers last week.  Not sting one.  Then, after giving the bees a few days to clean up, I was scrubbing out the extractor and got hit on the nose, the forehead, 3 times on the neck.  I guess I'm lucky I don't swell much, just a little in the corner of my eyes the next morning.  I scolded them and threatened to move them back into the mountains if they kept that crap up.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:56:18 pm »
It's always the way isn't it! I was just watching my girls (a recent swarm that i hived) and oe flew up, walked around on my nose so i thought it was ok and not going to sting me, then it buried it in to me as deep as it could! What defines your being allergic to bees? is it simply if your airways close up? I've been stung in a few different locations (leg, elbow, hip, and now nose) and i find that the swelling varies with each location - for me the elbow and the hip didnt give me ay grief at all! the leg swelled a little then wet itchy but this one on the nose has swollen the most - obviously the face is much more sensitive to stuff like that

Offline mathew

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:02:52 pm »
Bees hate carbon dioxide and if you notice when you blow at them they'll scatter away. So I figured if they ever got on my nose, the best way is to stop breathing for awhile. I used to have a lousy veil where they could crawl under the netting. Once they got near my nose area they'll try to crawl in. That happened to me about 3 times and holding my breath works as they are trying to get to the source of the CO2. They know that our nose like a bear is a sensitive part.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:30:04 pm »
I got nailed onthe tip of the nose (again) doing a cutout Sept. 3. I looked up into the wall space and the veil came down against my face. BAM! Hurt like heck for about half an hour, and my nose swelled up a little. Had a crater for a week and a half; looked like I had some kind of cancer!

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 08:42:44 pm »
My first sting as a beek came on th tip of my nose.  I was not stung the entire first year.  Second year I was doing a cutout.  I was bumbling a bit trying to figure what to do.  My veil slipped back on my head and my nose pressed against the veil. ZAP!  Funny thing, I must have gotten the stinger out quickly cause it did not swell nor even itched later.  Was most mild sting I've had.  Now I wear a baseball cap under the veil, the bill keeps the veil off the nose! 

John

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:51:37 pm »
I got stung on the nose once and it was the most painful sting I've ever had.  Went into the bathroom mirror to look at it and tears were just raining out of my tear ducts from the pain (and no, I wasn't crying from the pain, the pain just made my tear ducts react).  And of course that whole nose and eye area swole up for a couple of days.

Now as far as reacting differently to different stings, I have really noticed that a lot lately.  Used to be years ago when I would get stung, I would  always have a some localized swelling, redness and itching, depending on how good a hit I took.  I've been stung 4 times this year. First was just a nick on my inner thigh through my jeans.  A little redness, no swelling but some itching for a couple of days. Then I got stung on my hand  a few weeks later and had full body hives and my hand swole up like a catcher's glove.  Had to get steroids for that.  Last Friday I was barefoot near the hive and stepped on a bee  and for some reason that made her mad and she stung the side of my foot, but I had no reaction of any kind.  And last night a bee ran up the inside of my jeans and nicked me on the inner thigh.  Again, no reaction of any kind today.  But based on that full body hive incident I did get an epi-pen to have on hand, but usually I just chug some benedryl then go sleep it off.
linda d

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 10:03:36 pm »
Yeah, i had some benadryl too! i don't know if it helped though as i don't really know what it would have been like had i not taken it

Offline Buzzen

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 10:49:41 pm »
As a kid I was asleep and I woke up to major pain in the nose, I saw a yellowjacket crawling off the bed.   It got me right on the side of the nose,man that hurt for quite awhile But I didn't swell up.  Sure was sore to the touch!!

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 01:40:50 am »
No, thank goodness! My poor little daughter took one to her upper lip this year, though.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 10:36:06 am »
My understanding from my dad, who was recently tested for (and confirmed) bee venom allergy, is that there are two distinct types of reaction:

Local - redness, swelling, pain, heat, itching at or near the site.  I have pretty bad local reactions - the entire area will swell up to the next big joint - ie a sting on the tip of the finger swells my entire finger, a sting on the forearm gives me two days of swelling from wrist to elbow.  No matter how bad this is, if the reaction is limited by proximity to the sting, you probably aren't currently allergic, though a neck sting could still be dangerous.

Systemic - may or may not have an accompanying local reaction - shortness of breath, swelling of the neck and face (where sting is elsewhere), difficulty speaking or swallowing, unexplained cough, hives on parts of the body not stung.  ANY of these symptoms within a couple of hours of a sting mean you have some degree of allergy to bee venom, and according to the allergist, that means you need to be treated because the next systemic reaction could be much worse.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline mvanek

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 06:35:00 pm »
I got stung right on the side of my nose, closer to my eyes...you better believe it brought tears to my eyes! 

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 07:23:30 pm »
One benefit of it was that i collected two swarms last night and got stung four times for my efforts - not one reaction - slight swelling (no more than a mosquito bite) for about 5 mins and then nothing!

Offline dennis2021

• House Bee
    • Orlando Bee Removal Expert
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 08:37:51 pm »

Scott

Tell ya what! it's a nasty place to get stung! all around my eyes are swollen almost to the point of my eyes being closed...

Yup, was doing splits with a buddy all day, we took a break to cool off and have a drink. The second I unzipped my veil, bam, right in the nose! Tears were running like crazy, not crying, just tears. It only swelled (and hurt like hell) for a minute or so, then went away. No itching, thank goodness.

Have a sweet day,
Dennis the Bee Guy

Offline Pink Cow

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 08:54:05 pm »
Does in the nose count?

Was helping a buddy get a swarm out of a tree this spring, and since I was just the helper I didn't bother suiting up while he went up the ladder. All went very well and as he reached down and lowered the closed bucket to me a bee fell from the outside of it and went right into my nose and stung me on the septum immediately. Without a doubt, the most painful ever for me. Worse than mouth, eyes, ears, anything. Fortunately, it didn't swell much so after the pain eased (which was quite some time) it wasn't much of a problem - until it started itching, that is.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 09:41:56 pm »
Pink cow--you are probably the first person on earth to actually have been "scratching" your nose internally! I've heard an itchy nose blamed many times, but it always looks like nose picking to me  :-D
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 10:06:13 pm »
Does in the nose count?

Was helping a buddy get a swarm out of a tree this spring, and since I was just the helper I didn't bother suiting up while he went up the ladder. All went very well and as he reached down and lowered the closed bucket to me a bee fell from the outside of it and went right into my nose and stung me on the septum immediately. Without a doubt, the most painful ever for me. Worse than mouth, eyes, ears, anything. Fortunately, it didn't swell much so after the pain eased (which was quite some time) it wasn't much of a problem - until it started itching, that is.

OUCH! thankfully i got very little itching from mine and the swelling is mostly gone now

Offline Pink Cow

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 01:58:31 am »
Pink cow--you are probably the first person on earth to actually have been "scratching" your nose internally! I've heard an itchy nose blamed many times, but it always looks like nose picking to me  :-D

Actually, for exactly that reason I just rubbed it on the outside. Unless I was alone.

anything