Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Support for deep foundationless frames????  (Read 4634 times)

Offline Greg watkevich

• House Bee
Support for deep foundationless frames????
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:28:03 pm »
I built a bunch of deep foundationless frames with a bevel under the top bar. I am wondering if the frames or the comb will need additional support?  I thought they might so I added another beveled bar about half way down the deep.  Bees coming in 2 weeks so I am concerned if this additional beveled bar will affect the normal brood pattern.  Also, If I remove it, will the comb lack support for removing and inspection?   " or" If a run wire across the frame will the bees incorporate that into the comb.  This might also help with support if it would work.  Your thoughts???
Greg Watkevich

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
Re: Support for deep foundationless frames????
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 11:15:04 pm »
Hi Greg,

I've been using foundationless, deep frames with no problems.  The extra bar you have added shouldn't be a problem at all.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Greg watkevich

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 01:05:36 am »
Do you have any problems with breaking the comb and do your bees draw out the entire frame?  How much longer do you believe it takes for the bees to draw foundation vs frames with foundations?

Offline Greg watkevich

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 06:04:21 pm »
Here is a pic of the frame.
Greg Watkevich

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 06:46:46 pm »
The bees have no issue embedding wire or anything for that matter into the comb.  You should be fine with your second beveled bar.  I wouldn't worry about splitting the brood up either.  Your brood nest will be tighter than those who run all mediums.

See here -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,25870.msg203521.html#msg203521

And here where I ran a metal rod through for support -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/double-deep-frames/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Greg watkevich

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 08:19:30 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I was concerned that it would mess up the brood pattern.  Bee will arrive within 2 weeks.  Guess I'll leave the beveled bar.
Greg Watkevich