Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apiary at a park  (Read 13047 times)

Offline debay

• New Bee
    • JUST MY BLOGS AND SOME PICS
Re: Apiary at a park
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 01:51:46 am »
I just re-read my own post, and I think I might need to apologize. Didnt mean to come off so harsh. The internet is a great way to communicate but it lacks nuances like facial expressions, tone of voice, and other body language needed to fully express yourself. Sorry if it looked as if I was chewing on you a bit.

My point is basically that the public is stupid. If your bees stung someone and the news reports killer bees attack, or children stung by bees unprovoked, or child maliciously attacked by bees, the public will buy it and run with it. From then its just a matter of a lawyer and deep pockets and your civilly liable. Take a look at the frivolous lawsuits that get won all the time.  I dont think your idea is impossible, it just needs further thought  and planning.

To be my own devils advocate,  it could also be about "packaging".  A stack of boxes in a fence with bees coming and going is mundane and not exciting. Not too many folks can get attached to that or take anything home from watching it. If something was to go wrong who would care if it was removed?  Do something like was mentioned in another post and slap an observation hive on it, build a small structure to house some equipment and to conceal the main part of the hive and you have something unique. You can use the opportunity to post bee facts and some pictures. Now you have a zoo exhibit, not a bee hive. Its the same thing as a regular hive, just packaged in a way the public can get something out of it. I guess you could say the public could "own" it because they can interact with it. Of course that would take funding and a whole other pile of logistics that make it more improbable to happen. With a display like that I think people would be more tolerant of a bee sting here and there vs the plain bee hive approach.   

As for looking to Europe as an example of "how they do it", well Europe is........, its just Europe. They drive on the wrong side of the road, eat cabbage stuffed in animal stomachs, only allow criminals to have guns(how do you take from the people who get them illegally in the first place?) eat snails, and a lot of their families originated from cultures that believed incest was the best way to cultivate a perfect society. I know may have just opened Pandora's Box, Im just saying that we cant really apply everything done with European standards to North American standards. 

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 09:41:26 am »
As for looking to Europe as an example of "how they do it", well Europe is........, its just Europe. They drive on the wrong side of the road, eat cabbage stuffed in animal stomachs, only allow criminals to have guns(how do you take from the people who get them illegally in the first place?) eat snails, and a lot of their families originated from cultures that believed incest was the best way to cultivate a perfect society. I know may have just opened Pandora's Box, Im just saying that we cant really apply everything done with European standards to North American standards. 

I agree there was a reason we left a couple hundred years ago and it wasnn't because we loved living there so much.

Did you open Pandoras box?  yup probaly

Offline SystemShark

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 09:14:32 pm »
I never thought of the Observation hive idea, that would be a great way to make it more interesting for the public. I need to think on that a little bit and see how I can incorporate it into my sh peel. A modified shed from lowes might do the trick, thx for the ideas!

I'll attach what I have so far - I'm creating a word document and adding pictures to better shoot the idea home. The pic I "enhanced" with the green/purples and copy/paste of hives/pix is just for the rough draft.. I'll probably give the idea to some of my computer graphics friends to make it look really nice.

There is a nice pic I got from google maps of the park itself and I created some labels and identified exactly where I was thinking of putting it.

http://www.bigupload.com/files/AS8PONXRQ9/Apiary_in_a_Park.doc.zip.html

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 12:03:24 am »
I would love to see your document but can't quite figure out how to get it from bigupload (or whatever it is called). Do I need to register there to see it?

Thanks.

- Jess

Offline SystemShark

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 08:14:12 am »
No you dont have to register. Just click the link then click the "FREE" button on the bottom right.

Wait 2-3 seconds and in the top/middle area of the page a "Code" will appear. You type that code in the text box to the right and hit "download". For some reason its a bigger file (I think its the pics). The file is in .zip format so you might need to download winzip or winrar (you can google for them). I'll just get the satalite of the park and my funny looking "enhanced" photo so you guys can see that without having to DL the text file.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 01:09:07 am »
Nice concept--taller fence and overhead netting would help deter vandalism. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 01:31:26 am »
I would think a better idea would be to find someone with a little land that would be willing to let you keep your bees there.  I think your probably just asking for trouble.  I wouldn't want to have the headache.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 09:23:34 am »
On Your original post You state a Municipal Meeting would be held on June 24, when this project would be brought up.

How did that meeting go !

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 09:27:20 am »
On Your original post You state a Municipal Meeting would be held on June 24, when this project would be brought up.

How did that meeting go !

Bee-Bop

I don't know but bee bop he will probably let you know after the meeting on the 24th ;)

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 09:44:00 am »
Got ahead of myself didn't I !!

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline SystemShark

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 11:05:22 pm »
Just got out about an hour ago. I'm pleased to report a unanimous vote for YES! There were 6 seated board members, 2 liasons, and a secretary. All bursting with questions and all excited about the idea.

I guess there was a special yesterday on discovery channel or something that really got them interested. They liked the location I picked out but they think there are some better locations to start with, so I got a map of all the local parks and the directory of parks and services and I are going to start collaborating to make it happen.

The general consensus was that bees exist in nature and even though there is no 100% way to prevent stings the preventative measures we can take are sufficient enough to allow us to move forward.

I'll post more when I can gather my thoughts on it but I'm excited to share my experience with you all. I guess I'm a more convincing spokesman than even I thought!

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 11:21:00 pm »
I'm a little surprised they voted yes like that... I would have required a fence to keep young kids that are too young to read the signs from getting into the bees... seems like a tragesty waiting to happen otherwise.

Offline SystemShark

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 08:30:02 am »
I'm a little surprised they voted yes like that... I would have required a fence to keep young kids that are too young to read the signs from getting into the bees... seems like a tragesty waiting to happen otherwise.

There is a fence :p..a tall one, locked, and most likely overhead netting (as per the suggestion here). They also are planning on providing epi med kits either in a dispenser of some kind or with the park office. In addition both locations we discussed are less than 1 mile from the hospital.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 02:18:41 am »
Oh, well as long as there is a fence... the epi packs are overkill with a fence.

Sorry, I skipped a page of posts... D'OH!

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 10:30:43 am »
What great news! Congrats on the approval!

I am wondering about the overhead netting - obviously you are getting something that has large enough holes for the bees to pass through but does it interfere at all with their flight? I assume this is more to prevent things from being thrown into the hive arena?

I have been thinking about trying to get a hive at our community garden - the fence won't work but some netting might.

So, what is your time frame like? Is the city going to pick up the cost of fencing etc? It seems like they are really doing everything they can to make sure this is a success. I am sure once the media gets wind of this you will be the next to get your two minutes of fame!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2008, 12:07:03 pm »
I have tried this and have failed every time so far. I cant even get passed the phone call. Congrats for you.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 02:58:19 pm »
I realize you probably don't need these now but I just came across photos I took of the observation hive in Lakewood, CO. Here they are in case you are interested.

- Jess

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 11:42:41 am »
Got my curiosity now... what's up with the TP rolls?

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 11:46:41 am »
Yeah, looks like a nice set up, but what's with the tp? rolls.
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 01:52:09 pm »
You guys are too observant for me! darn!

When I took these pics a few years ago I was not as bee savvy as I am now and didn't even notice the rolls. I only noticed them just looking at the pics again, myself.

I do not have pics of what is inside the rolls and for a minute I thought it was a mason bee hive.

Honestly, I have no idea. I have a friend out there - I will see if I can get him to go get some more pics of what is in the rolls.

Maybe I should post these as a new topic and see if anyone has suggestions for what the deal is?

- Jess

anything