Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Use of CheckMite + to Kill SHB  (Read 5420 times)

Offline jataylor

• House Bee
Use of CheckMite + to Kill SHB
« on: August 29, 2012, 09:44:37 am »
Instructions say to staple two pieces on the underside of a stripped piece of cardboard and place that on the bottom board.  I'm running screen bottom boards, so don't see where SHB would be running around on the screen bottom.  Will this work on the inner cover?

Offline Richard

• New Bee
Re: Use of CheckMite + to Kill SHB
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 02:29:16 pm »
I'm using beetle barns with a small piece of CheckMite+ inside.  I place the barns on top of the frames and on opposite sides of the brood box.  They seem to be doing a decent job.  I don't think I have a huge problem with the SHB but generally end up with around twenty to thirty total in the barns after a couple weeks.  Most are dead when I open it up, sometimes not.  Longer than a couple weeks and bees will have sealed up the entrance holes. 

Richard

Offline jataylor

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 02:50:55 pm »
Hmm.  Interested to know what a "beetle barn" is.  Picture, description.  Thanks.

Offline Richard

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 03:05:11 pm »
I bought some from Rossman.
http://www.gabees.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=41_70&products_id=370

Here’s  a YouTube video.  I’m not sure what he’s using to bait the traps in the video.
BEEKEEPING,Bees,SMALL HIVE BEETLES,Beetle trap filling,install Beekeepers Honeybees Beehives Georgia

Richard

Offline jataylor

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 05:17:52 pm »
Thanks.  Will let you know how they do.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 08:34:00 pm »
I would think you could use it on the inner cover.   You have pulled honey supers, right?

Offline Richard

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:16:18 pm »
According to the directions, honey supers should be removed.  Being my first year, I don’t have any honey supers on.  I’d like to find a good alternative for next year.

-R

Offline jataylor

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 09:10:17 am »
Same here.  No honey supers.  I do have three brood chambers.  This queen has really been busy and her girls have put away a good supply of honey for the winter!  Am hopeful they will have plenty for the tough winter we are expecting. 

anything